Rangers v Stranraer: Press Conference

44 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Are we talking about a different game? We lost 2-0, and the team were crap for the whole game. I'm not singling him out per se but it was one of bad team selections that Gerrard made that day. It wasn't the only one but we suffered due to a lack of attacking options, and it was an area that Celtic targeted.

In the one opportunity I've had to compare Flanagan and Patterson was against Wrexham. Patterson was the best player on the park when he was on, and then when Flanagan over to right back he was relatively anonymous.

I'm not sure why "deserve" comes into it. We complain that youths don't get a chance in the first team and there's no path for them to progress, but when we have the opportunity to blood a youngster with huge prospects, we don't want to take it? If the likes of Leon King see Patterson get the opportunity then it might persuade him to sign a contract. 

Yes, you're right, we were talking about different games.  I don't think the youths are as good as Flanagan so I think Flanagan should start.  I do agree that they need to be given the chance to prove they're as good so I really hope we put this game to bed early and then bring on Patterson.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

Yes, you're right, we were talking about different games.  I don't think the youths are as good as Flanagan so I think Flanagan should start.  I do agree that they need to be given the chance to prove they're as good so I really hope we put this game to bed early and then bring on Patterson.

I would play Patterson, I'm sure we will beat Stranraer regardless of who is playing RB, it would be fantastic to let the young guy make his home debut tomorrow and I think he will handle the occasion, also Polster will not be here next season, possibly Flannagan as well.

If it was a league game, or better quality opponents I may tend to agree with you.

4 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Dunno what people do NOT see in Flanagan and Polster here? IMHO, neitherhas been given much of a chance and when Flanagan was asked to play (left back), it was in games where his priorities were defending rather than playing wing-back. Sometimes you get the idea that the more Tav and Borna are being talked up, the more the abilities of Flanagan and Polsterare being talked down. SG bought Polster for a reason and he knew him quite well.

IMHO, it is not the management`s team to throw in youngsters. Granted, Stranraer might be a good game for Patterson, as they probably won`t offer that great a threat. In league business, it will be somewhat different.

The right back will be effectively playing as a winger against Stranraer, it will be all about breaking them down and providing energy and creativity. It's probably a case of horses for courses and I think Gerrard will see Patterson as the strongest right back for this game. League games it may be different. We go to Tynecastle a week Sunday and I think it's unlikely Patterson will be seen as the strongest right back for that game.

Edited by DMAA

39 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I would play Patterson, I'm sure we will beat Stranraer regardless of who is playing RB, it would be fantastic to let the young guy make his home debut tomorrow and I think he will handle the occasion, also Polster will not be here next season, possibly Flannagan as well.

If it was a league game, or better quality opponents I may tend to agree with you.

I get what you're saying but I still don't think this sends out the right message.  If Flanagan and Pollster have been working hard in training, and if they're the better players, they should play.  And that's also the right message to be sent to Patterson and the others.  The young boys have done well, but they've got to improve much more before they get to take a first team spot ahead of better players.  I'll be really disappointed in Gerrard if he does anything different.

11 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

If Flanagan and Pollster have been working hard in training, and if they're the better players, they should play.  And that's also the right message to be sent to Patterson and the others.  The young boys have done well, but they've got to improve much more before they get to take a first team spot ahead of better players.  I'll be really disappointed in Gerrard if he does anything different.

How do you know Flanagan and Polster have been doing better in training than Patterson? You don't know how they've been doing relative to each other so why will you be disappointed if Gerrard picks Patterson?

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

How do you know Flanagan and Polster have been doing better in training than Patterson? You don't know how they've been doing relative to each other so why will you be disappointed if Gerrard picks Patterson?

I did say "if".  What I'll add is that if Patterson is better than Flanagan and Pollster I'll be absolutely delighted, but surprised.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

I get what you're saying but I still don't think this sends out the right message.  If Flanagan and Pollster have been working hard in training, and if they're the better players, they should play.  And that's also the right message to be sent to Patterson and the others.  The young boys have done well, but they've got to improve much more before they get to take a first team spot ahead of better players.  I'll be really disappointed in Gerrard if he does anything different.

At the end of the day it is up to the manager & his staff, whom I think we all trust, so best we leave it to the people who no better than us :thup: