_42433604_darcheville_sns270.jpg

He looks a strong bugger!!!

He should be able to rattle opposition defences

He is actually quite small Gribz.

Rangers sign �£700,000 Beasley

STEPHEN HALLIDAY

DAMARCUS Beasley sang while Celtic were winning on his first visit to an Old Firm match but is determined to restore the bragging rights to the other side of Glasgow after completing a �£700,000 move to Rangers yesterday.

The 25-year-old United States international winger signed a three-year deal with the Ibrox club following his transfer from PSV Eindhoven on a hectic day of activity for Rangers, who also secured the services of goalkeeper Graeme Smith from Kilmarnock under freedom of contract and sold Swedish defender Karl Svensson to French club Caen for �£670,000.

Beasley, who helped his country win the CONCACAF Gold Cup last week, revealed the seeds of a move to Rangers had first been sewn in his mind when the USA trained at Murray Park during their trip to Scotland in November 2005 for a friendly international. During their six-day stay in Glasgow, the American squad attended the CIS Cup quarter-final at Parkhead which saw Celtic beat Rangers 2-0.

"We were sitting among the Celtic fans," recalled Beasley. "Am I allowed to say that? Celtic gave us the tickets. The atmosphere was great, the singing and the flags. It was unbelievable, it gives you chills through your body. I was kinda singing with the Celtic fans, it was crazy. It was the first and last time I'll be singing with the green and white half. It was a great experience to see the game and now I'll get to play in it.

"I saw the Murray Park set-up when I was here with the USA at that time and it's a great facility. The country as a whole is very friendly and that week or so here was an eye-opener for me that made me think about playing here one day. Now it has happened and I want to help Rangers win those games."

Beasley took soundings from his former international team-mate Claudio Reyna, the midfielder who enjoyed a successful spell with Rangers, when he was weighing up his options for the new season. "It didn't take too much persuasion for me to sign for Rangers," he said.

"I spoke to a lot of people about it, but mainly to Claudio. He told me it's more than just a football club, it's like a big family. There is a great history here and an unbelievable support. You also have one of the greatest derbies in the world and I want to be a part of that.

"I had options in Holland, Spain and England, but after speaking to Claudio about Rangers, I was really excited about the chance to come here. I like the pressure of playing for a big club and I'm excited about that. The prospect of Champions League football was a major factor as well. I had a great experience of that with PSV and I definitely want to do it again."

Beasley spent part of last season on loan at Manchester City and believes that experience will help him settle quickly into Scottish football. Of slight build, he believes his other qualities will help him overcome the physical challenge of the SPL and shine for his new employers.

"I like to excite people, to be on the ball with my left foot and use my speed," he said. "I'm not the biggest guy, so I can't use my size, but I can use my ability to get behind defenders and help the team."

Rangers manager Walter Smith believes Beasley represents a ready-made package who will bring verve and dynamism to his team. "Apart from his ability, one of the things which attracted us to DaMarcus was the experience he has at international level with the USA and in the Champions League with PSV," said Smith. "I'm hoping he will bring us the kind of pace we were sadly lacking last season."

The purchase of Beasley was balanced in the books for Rangers by the sale of Svensson as they recouped the fee they paid to IFK Gothenburg for the Swede a year ago. Svensson became synonymous with the erratic seven-month managerial reign of Paul Le Guen and Smith has some sympathy for a player he believes still has considerable potential. "I wish Karl well," he said.

The grim outcome of Rangers' French-led experiment last season, however, did not discourage Jean-Claude Darcheville from joining the club on a free transfer from Bordeaux. The striker was formally unveiled at Murray Park yesterday and revealed Yves Colleu, Le Guen's assistant, had advised him on the move.

"He said I would really enjoy Rangers," said Darcheville. "I am not looking at anyone else's experience here, I hope that it is different for me and I want to make Rangers number one in Scotland again."

Graeme Smith, who trained with Rangers as a schoolboy, was thrilled to return to the club yesterday. Now 24, he was Alan Combe's deputy at Kilmarnock but is determined to present a serious challenge to Allan McGregor for the No 1 jersey at Ibrox. "I had offers from other clubs where I would have been guaranteed first team football," he said, "but I couldn't turn down an opportunity like this."

BEASLEY FACTFILE

1982: Born 24 May in Fort Wayne, Indiana USA.

1999: Named Player of the Tournament at the Under-17 World Cup in New Zealand.

2000: Signed for Major League Soccer outfit Chicago Fire

2001: Wins first full cap for United States against China and plays at Under-20 World Cup in Argentina.

2002: Helps US to quarter-finals of World Cup in Japan/South Korea.

2003: Named in the MLS All Star XI.

2004: Joins PSV Eindhoven for �£1.25 million. Wins Dutch league title.

2005: Plays in semi-final of Champions League against AC Milan. Wins Golden Boot as the US celebrate Gold Cup triumph.

2006: Plays in his second World Cup in Germany. Joins Manchester City on loan.

2007: Returns to PSV. Stars for US Gold Cup-winning side. Joins Rangers in a �£700,000 deal.

EH!!!!!!!! I fookin know!! Thats why i posted it in a DARCHEVILLE thread :uzi:

Its Pete who says he thought he was Beasley :uzi:

Ah sorry.

Pete, that's Darcheville you muppet!