Rangers 2 - 0 Ross County

55 minutes ago, craig said:

Disagree.  When Tav doesn’t play teams double and treble up on the left hand side but leave the right hand side open.  Polster played well but he was under little pressure.  If Tavernier is in there, no way do County give that much space, which then stretches them on both sides.

JFK is sport on in my opinion.  It’s a sign of what we miss without Tavernier

I simply do not see that apparent world-class guy others see in Tavernier. He's a fullback that does a shit-load of running, sometimes pressing the opposition. But so too do others, like Polster tonight. He pressed them too and - for a change - defended when needed and with some skill. But each to his/her/their own.

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I simply do not see that apparent world-class guy others see in Tavernier. He's a fullback that does a shit-load of running, sometimes pressing the opposition. But so too do others, like Polster tonight. He pressed them too and - for a change - defended when needed and with some skill. But each to his/her/their own.

Tav has been our most consistent performer from the first day he played for Rangers! but as you say each to their own!.

14 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I'm sort of inclined to agree with some of what you say dB! I can see the same traits in Polster as Tav plus he is a better defender. I would have no worries if Tav were to be sold. However, I feel the team lose an awful lot without Tav. He is their captain and they look to him. I'm looking forward to his return?

13 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Tav has been our most consistent performer from the first day he played for Rangers! but as you say each to their own!.

Agree with what you say Ian. I hope he returns ASAP. No worries in the right back position with Polster though.

18 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Where did anyone say Tavernier was world class ?  Nobody did, that's just silly.  What IS being said is that this Rangers team performs poorer when he is out of the team than when he is in it.  Polster has done it for the grand sum of 135 minutes in a Rangers jersey - well done him, with 90 minutes of those against a team who posed virtually zero attacking threat.  Meanwhile, Tavernier has done it against all of our main rivals as well as on the European stage, over a number of years.

I am not crapping on Polster because, as I said on the weekend, I think he has leapfrogged both Flanagan AND Patterson to be Tav's understudy - but I'm not going to sit here and listen to people re-write Tavernier's history negatively, whilst talking up Polster's after about 2 full games worth of minutes, most of which against weaker opposition where he hasn't been overly tested.

6 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

I'm sort of inclined to agree with some of what you say dB! I can see the same traits in Polster as Tav plus he is a better defender. I would have no worries if Tav were to be sold. However, I feel the team lose an awful lot without Tav. He is their captain and they look to him. I'm looking forward to his return?

I'm still not sure how we can say Polster is a better defender after about 2 full games of minutes, where most of those are against weaker opposition - baffles me.  What I will say is that Polster's delivery from wide, if given a consistent run, has the potential to be very, very effective.  I think his delivery is better than Tavernier's - but Tavernier scares opposition defenders more than Polster does, which keeps them more "honest".

If Polster got a run in the team and started delivering "Barisic-type crosses" - how long before he gets closed down much higher up the pitch and starts to look more ordinary ?  He hasn't been tested, opposition barely know him - he has the element of surprise currently.

Again, not crapping on Polster as I like him and am glad he won't be going out on loan - far better player than Flanagan - and I actually think he is a capable squad player - wouldn't mind seeing him get some minutes in midfield too, to see what he can do.

7 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Agree with what you say Ian. I hope he returns ASAP. No worries in the right back position with Polster though.

I think Tav is one of the most underrated player ever to play for Rangers! Polster has done well but he is not better than Tav by a long way