[FT] Rangers 3 - 2 Braga (Hagi 67, 82; Aribo 75)

6 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Rangers win! Great excuse to have a go at Kent.

Please note that Aribo never replaced Kent and played in midfield and at left back.

It’s hardly like I was making a random dig. I said on this very thread before kick off after seeing the team “Personally I think Aribo loses out to Kent on reputation alone. Aribo has been better than Kent by a distance since the break”. I was picking up on that, I know he came on for Barisic but he showed us what we were missing and Kent did the opposite. Our strongest 11 would have Davis, Jack, Arfield with Aribo and Hagi in front of them at the moment in my opinion. 

33 minutes ago, compo said:

Let's be honest until we got the equaliser we were rank rotten we got switched on with our first goal and never looked back 

You’re spot on compo. The game turned on a moment of quality from an individual. That’s what Hagi brings to the team. 

I’ve watched the first half and highlights again. The signing of Hagi is a game changer. He put 3 chances on a plate for Morelos and should have come away with assists for all 3. 1 was a sitter and the other two were one on ones Morelos should be taking. Two of the assists were excellent. His creative quality is outstanding. A mention for Arfield too, he played some key passes too and Morelos missed another one on one from one of them. 

Edited by DMAA

9 hours ago, DMAA said:

Gerrard deserves credit tonight with his substitutions. Bringing on Aribo, Kamberi and Stewart was very bold and it really paid off. 

It was the Stewart for Barisic sub that was the most bold -- Aribo was left playing LB!! 

I like Kamberi; a lot. 

I love Aribo. He gets a lot of criticism from fans mostly because of his languid style, but when he turns it on, he's phenomenal.  

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It was the Stewart for Barisic sub that was the most bold -- Aribo was left playing LB!! 

I like Kamberi; a lot. 

I love Aribo. He gets a lot of criticism from fans mostly because of his languid style, but when he turns it on, he's phenomenal.  

He was at LB but it was Aribo or Halliday. At that stage of the game it was important to bring on someone who could play at a left winger instead of a left back. You’re right about the languid style. But his quality is there for all to see. 

I think the 4-5-1 we were playing towards the end is the best way to defend against Braga, because it covers their Wing-backs. 

Our 4-3-3 was compact vertically, but their width completely negated that strength. 

Our press was terrible. We didn't cover their pivot, or the wingers. I think we made it far too easy for them. 

Of course, all that is secondary to the fact that we couldn't complete a simple pass all night until that quite remarkable transformation.