Let's have a vote! The Greatest Rangers side

The greatest Rangers side?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What's the greatest Rangers side?

• Rangers '59-64: Ritchie, Shearer, Provan, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand, Wilson
    • Rangers '71/72: McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Johnstone, Smith, McLean, Conn, Stein, MacDonald, Johnston
    • Rangers '75-78: McCloy, Jardine, Jackson, Greig, Forsyth, McLean, Russell, MacDonald, Cooper, Johnstone, Smith
    • Rangers '91-93: Goram, Brown, Gough, McPherson, Robertson, McCall, Ferguson, Durant, Murray / Steven (?), McCoist, Hateley
    • Rangers '94-97: Goram, Cleland, Robertson, Gough, McLaren, Brown, Gascoigne, Ferguson, McCall, Laudrup, McCoist / Durie
    • Rangers '98-00: Klos, Reyna, Moore, Vidmar, Numan, Kanchelskis, Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, Wallace, Dodds
    • Rangers '01-03: Klos, Ricksen, Amoruso, Moore, Numan, Ferguson, DeBoer, Malcolm, Arveladze, McCann, Mols
    • Rangers '07/08: Alexander, Broadfoot, Weir, Cuellar, Papac, Whittaker, Ferguson, Hemdani, Thomson, Davis, Darcheville

Looks like we've got all the sides we'll get, so let's have a vote!

I reckon there will be a lot of personal preference involved, but if we look at it objectively, there's only one winner:

Of course, the only way you can make any sensible choice is if you’ve actually seen each of these teams, not just in big games but across the duration of their play together. ?

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Of course, the only way you can make any sensible choice is if you’ve actually seen each of these teams, not just in big games but across the duration of their play together. ?

True, but here goes nonetheless.  Ritchie, Shearer .....

I'm at a loss. 

I grew up with the 90s sides, so they'll always hold a special place in my heart, but my gut feeling is that those 60s and 70s sides are better, despite having only seen the odd clip of them here and there -- those iconic names just jump out at me. 

Why is that? 

Great work with the points table. I've never seen this sort of analysis before and it does seem to support what I'd always felt to be the case.

Despite the success of teams from the Souness era onwards, I always felt there were two great periods in my lifetime, the early 1960s and 1975-78, and found it hard to say for sure which was the better team. On balance, the 1960s team probably had more flair and more players of genuinely top talent, while the 1970s side had more power.

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I'm at a loss. 

I grew up with the 90s sides, so they'll always hold a special place in my heart, but my gut feeling is that those 60s and 70s sides are better, despite having only seen the odd clip of them here and there -- those iconic names just jump out at me. 

Why is that? 

Favourite and Greatest are two different teams? Thats certainly my dilemma.

IMO Id also say its a generation thing in the same way as who was the greatest player you have ever seen - I believe you have to witness the team.

41 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I went with '59-64. 

Objectively, they were the most successful of our list 

Also: Baxter. I love the effortless, almost laid back playmakers. 

He could move the ball about like Joe Davis on a snooker table great vision great balance seen him one Sunday playing in a fund raising game he had a vodka and coke in his  hand and never spilled a single drop ?

I chose the early 60s team ( burying ‘Spurs and Eintracht in the lockdown chamber of the memory) but  I can’t ignore the merits of the GazzaLaudo sides so, in 4-4-2:

Goram

Caldow, Greig, McKinnon, Robertson

Henderson, Laudrup, Gascoigne, Baxter

Millar, Brand.

I’ve been a bit creative with the fullbacks to accommodate Robertson. Caldow could play left or right, no bother.

The manager is Walter.

The chief scout is Scot Symon. He had an eye for a player.

The Sports Psychologist is Bobby Shearer.