Auchinleck crowned Champions.... wait for it....

So as many of you know... I am an Auchinleck Talbot fan outside of my love for Rangers...

They got awarded the West SuperLeague yesterday.... despite being 12 points behind the leaders Kilwinning and actually sitting in 3rd place, with Pollok in second place  :shock:

To be fair, they highly likely would have won it anyway - 12 points behind but an unbelievable 9 games in hand to the leaders... and one point behind 2nd place and 6 games in hand.

They were awarded it on average points per game.

Obviously I am happy at Talbot winning the league but what an absolute farce !

4 hours ago, craig said:

So as many of you know... I am an Auchinleck Talbot fan outside of my love for Rangers...

They got awarded the West SuperLeague yesterday.... despite being 12 points behind the leaders Kilwinning and actually sitting in 3rd place, with Pollok in second place  :shock:

Obviously I am happy at Talbot winning the league but what an absolute farce !

They didn't win it. 

41 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

They didn't win it. 

Winning should clearly have been in inverted commas, which I am sure you could have gathered given my initial terminology of "awarded"

22 minutes ago, compo said:

The buffs wont be to happy 

Probably not.  But they know as well as I do that Talbot would have won the league eventually this season :D:ninja: - unfortunately the consequence of being successful is that you end up in more competitions (senior SC) and have a backlog of games.

44 minutes ago, craig said:

Winning should clearly have been in inverted commas, which I am sure you could have gathered given my initial terminology of "awarded"

They won it according to the criteria laid down by those running the league. The fact those criteria were ultimately different from those set out at the start of the season is merely an academic point. You could say the fact the team at the top of the table didn't win the trophy is evidence that the new criteria were based on the fairest possible principles available.

It's OK to say a championship should be decided over the full planned number of games but when that's no longer possible then the contest should either be abandoned with no outcome (which I think is what should happen) or some other basis agreed. If the latter prevails then it's pointless to say such-and-such team didn't win it. They clearly did.

Edited by Bill

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

They won it according to the criteria laid down by those running the league. The fact those criteria were ultimately different from those set out at the start of the season is merely an academic point. You could say the fact the team at the top of the table didn't win the trophy is evidence that the new criteria were based on the fairest possible principles available.

It's OK to say a championship should be decided over the full planned number of games but when that's no longer possible then the contest should either be abandoned with no outcome (which I think is what should happen) or some other basis agreed. If the latter prevails then it's pointless to say such-and-such team didn't win it. They clearly did.

It's a fair point Bill, particularly when the team at the top don't actually get it awarded to them.

Wonder how many Kilwinning fans are upset about it - I honestly can't imagine too many saying "Talbot wouldn't have won the league" because they have been so dominant for a number of years - could they have dropped the requisite number of points ?  Sure.  Was it likely ?  Highly unlikely.  More unlikely than us overtaking Celtic anyway.

I guess in the Junior world it isn't as much of a deal as it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of finances etc.  Talbot have run out of all the places to store their silverware.  Will be interesting to see what happens when they enter the pyramid (they didn't actually want to but felt obliged).

8 hours ago, craig said:

Probably not.  But they know as well as I do that Talbot would have won the league eventually this season :D:ninja: - unfortunately the consequence of being successful is that you end up in more competitions (senior SC) and have a backlog of games.

You don't know that and neither does anyone else.
Look at Rangers in 2008. Any Jap "owners' in the Juniors?
This "award" is a travesty.