Team Talk For Sunday

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

I remember growing up watching Football Italia on Channel 4 and you had defenders like Franco Baresi.  We all know he was one of the greats but a huge part of his game was the 'dark arts'...being dirty but very clever about it.  Fouling forwards but not giving away fouls. I'm not comparing the Livingston players to him or Holt to the great Italian managers but it's all part and parcel of football, particularly if a team are facing superior opponents. 

When you watch British football from the 70s and 80s compared to now, it's night and day, in terms of the dirty side of the game.  I get the impression some people want it to be a non-contact sport played by a bunch of fairies.  The same sort of people who want supporters to sit down, behave and never say anything nasty.  It's a man's game - or at least it was.

Our very own manager, during his current tenure, has mentioned "doing the dirty work" and having to do the "ugly side" from time to time..... 

On 14/08/2020 at 13:56, craig said:

I know Gary - we played in the same youth team at Killie Boys Club - what was surprising to me was that Gary was maybe the 5th best player in the team, but the only one to make it pro.  The biggest difference between he and the rest of us was his desire to make it - he wasnt letting anything stand in his way.  Ruthless would be a word I would use.  His Livvy team plays with the same work ethos as Gary brought to the pitch himself - had a great engine on him even back then, played right midfield for us.

Good lad is Gary

Gary sounds like a totally wonderful guy ,hopefully we lose tomorrow then ?.

10 hours ago, craig said:

Our very own manager, during his current tenure, has mentioned "doing the dirty work" and having to do the "ugly side" from time to time..... 

Really now, let's see you just accept it with no qualms as it plays out tomorrow then. Potentially crippling tackles such as we saw on Roofe on Wednesday. No problem for you despite the fact it's being advertised ahead of time that this is pretty much the plan.

On 14/08/2020 at 10:52, 26th of foot said:

Gary Holt is a trained professional soldier.

His conditioning was provided by a much under valued area of military endeavour. A product of the Army Catering Corps depot at Aldershot, that flaming urns cap badge and regimental motto, 'we sustain'. They are instructed in producing culinary triumphs such as : Pilchard Pizza, All In Stew, and Turkey Curry; whilst replete in a battle bowler.

Vicious bastards, the lot of them. If you meet one, put two rapid into him, you won't regret it.

In my time, those Army Catering Corps types attached to the Parachute Regiment, all arrived with appropriate nicknames, 'Socks Simpson', 'Boots Hughes', Clattie Shaw', and 'Wullie the Heid'.   Such monikers filled you with confidence in terms of food preparation.

offshore, we had. Mick the Mince, Jimmy Boil and Manky Frankie the Clydeside Poisoner, the only man I ever met who could burn cheese without melting it.

11 hours ago, Franc Ergs said:

Gary sounds like a totally wonderful guy ,hopefully we lose tomorrow then ?.

Fail to see the connection between him being a good guy and wanting us to lose.  Ridiculous statement

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Really now, let's see you just accept it with no qualms as it plays out tomorrow then. Potentially crippling tackles such as we saw on Roofe on Wednesday. No problem for you despite the fact it's being advertised ahead of time that this is pretty much the plan.

I’m telling you our own manager has said similar things to Holt but you won’t ever accuse him of “deliberately intending violent play”.  Nope, you’ll deflect, as is your prerogative I guess.

You do realize that crippling tackles can still be legal challengers, right ?  A 50:50 can still end up in a player suffering serious injury.

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

At least there'll be no fans at the Toni Macaroni arena.  It's usually quite an intimidating venue.

Which is strange considering they have very few fans at games ?

2 hours ago, craig said:

I’m telling you our own manager has said similar things to Holt but you won’t ever accuse him of “deliberately intending violent play”.  Nope, you’ll deflect, as is your prerogative I guess.

You do realize that crippling tackles can still be legal challengers, right ?  A 50:50 can still end up in a player suffering serious injury.

I'm deflecting from nothing, if anybody is you are.

I understand perfectly that when Gerrard may say such a thing he's not talking about a strategy. He's talking about what he knows they're going to face. He's saying we know this is what they will do and we wont be intimidated. He's not saying our plan is we're going out there to kick lumps out of them.

This guy on the other hand is saying exactly that. No doubting that so don't be deflecting with talk of what a nice guy he is while implying Gerrard is advocating 'ugly', a euphemism for kick the shit out of them, as a game strategy.