Did he not get injured again during the last transfer window meaning any moves for him weren't possible?

I knew it was a bad injuey he got back in January time but didn't think he'd miss the start of the new season with it. Do Rangers players not get thigh strains or "slight knocks"?

WALTER SMITH has revealed that Stevie Smith and Thomas Buffel are facing another six weeks of hard work before they will be in a position to get back into the first team.

The good news is that they are recovered from pelvic and knee problems respectively. However, both will now undergo their own pre-season.

That means inThomas Buffel will be mid-September before they are liable to feature.

Smith, though, is ready to utilise both of them. He said:"Stevie and Thomas will also start training next week. Both of them have been out for a long time so I think it will take them between a month and six weeks to reach the necessary level of fitness and match fitness.

"Within this period we will effectively be giving them a pre-season training and hopefully they will get back into a rhythm as quickly as possible.

"Thomas has been bothered by injury and I think that was apparent last season but he has shown he can be a very good player and we want to get him fit and get him back in the team again.

"There is no reason why he can't be an important member of the team."

Meanwhile, Ugo Ehiogu, who also missed the Germany trip, will be back in training on Monday.

Smith added: "Ugo had a calf strain and couldn't come with us to Germany but we think he will be back with us next week."

Something wasn't right with that injury of his, but hopefully he's now on the road to a full recovery.

"Thomas has been bothered by injury and I think that was apparent last season but he has shown he can be a very good player and we want to get him fit and get him back in the team again.

"There is no reason why he can't be an important member of the team."

I still think he will come good under Smith and im looking forward to his return. He will feel like a new player. He showed glipses of quality under Mcleish but was played well out position and we wont know what PLG was telling him to do.

I think Smith and McCoist will see his talent and will get the best out of him. He has pace and skill and the ability to unlock defences with a pass and he can score aswell. He just needs to be played properly and he also has to be consistant in his own form.

I still think he will come good under Smith and im looking forward to his return. He will feel like a new player. He showed glipses of quality under Mcleish but was played well out position and we wont know what PLG was telling him to do.

I think Smith and McCoist will see his talent and will get the best out of him. He has pace and skill and the ability to unlock defences with a pass and he can score aswell. He just needs to be played properly and he also has to be consistant in his own form.

I wish I shared your optimism when it comes to players that have done next to NOTHING for us (Sebo and now Buffel).

Buffel has had 3 managers (admittedly hasnt played under Smith due to injury) and has done NOTHING. Yes, played out of position often under AM but often never looks bothered and that is something you cant teach a player.

No doubt he has the talent but I highly doubt that he has the will to put the application in.

Sebo is another story (and I agree with you that if he gets one or two goals they could start flooding in) but that is for another thread.

I definitely hope you are right and I am wrong Gribz - in Buffel's case I have my doubts - if we could get a decent offer for him I would sell him.