Club Statement

5 hours ago, The Tin Man said:

As someone who’s from around those parts let me assure you they fucking despise it. It sends them into fits of rage! Hilarious if you ask me.

In that case i hope SG continues to call them by the same name!!!! :) 

17 hours ago, barca72 said:

Okay, now you have vented your spleen maybe you can say something constructive on how our players should withstand this violent physical barrage.

No one is saying that the player who receives “the treatment” should himself retaliate right away, however, it looks like they are suggesting that an “enforcer” is required to stem the tide. Maybe more than one in the same team.

I can remember teams all the way back to George Young, Willie Woodburn, Bobby Shearer, Ian McColl, John Greig, Graham Souness etc. which were well respected by their opponents, gentlemen all.

I remember a Form Master at school who, just before he gave you the belt, would say to you - “ xxx you are allowed to half-kill a man as long as you leave the other half for someone else”.

If we don’t introduce a form of self-protection into our play then it will not be a case of our team stopping 10IAR, but simply sitting back – as you would appear to be advocating – and watch another league be gifted to our opponents.

I eagerly await your suggestions of how we can turn this situation around both on the pitch and changing the viewpoint off of it. Remember, wars are dirty.

The players can't do anything. They will just get sent off if they do. It's currently a no-win situation and we won't be allowed to win the league.

Something has to be done off the park. The club need to take the nuclear option and start highlighting the issues and putting pressure on both the SPFL, the SFA and refs to get parity of treatment.

However our directors, like most before them, seem unwilling to do it.

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

The players can't do anything. They will just get sent off if they do. It's currently a no-win situation and we won't be allowed to win the league.

Something has to be done off the park. The club need to take the nuclear option and start highlighting the issues and putting pressure on both the SPFL, the SFA and refs to get parity of treatment.

We have a player sent off for blowing a kiss after we scored! another two players sent off for celebrating a goal!!, off the top of my head, there are loads more examples. If one of our players even looked aggressive going for a challenge they would be shown a card, if any Rangers fan can't see that these last few seasons then they are not paying attention.

5 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Talking sense doesnt appear to be popular in this particular thread BD :roflmao:

6 hours ago, Bluedell said:

4 hours ago, ian1964 said:

We have a player sent off for blowing a kiss after we scored! another two players sent off for celebrating a goal!!, off the top of my head, there are loads more examples. If one of our players even looked aggressive going for a challenge they would be shown a card, if any Rangers fan can't see that these last few seasons then they are not paying attention.

Okay, you posters who are advocating that the players should do nothing on the park which would offend the opposing players and/or the referees, and at the same time are bemoaning the present and future intestinal fortitude of the board, are leaving the rest of us with no choice other than to surrender any feelings of future glory for our team. You are completely stiffling any moves in any direction for future progress. I suppose you might want us all to quit and go support Queens Park!

We all of us know that our club and playing personnel are adjudicated differently than the rest of Scottish football. Should we just sit back and feel sorry for ourselves? No, emphatically no.

This is a two-pronged problem- on the pitch and in the boardroom.

On the pitch you seem to be saying that our players should play nice flowing, attacking and winning football when the other team’s players and the referees allow us to. Like hell.

I may be paraphrasing but I think it was Kevin Thompson in an interview that quoted Walter Smith as saying ‘...if you have played 15 mins. and you don’t have a yellow card for your tackling, you’re not trying hard enough’. A wee bit extreme perhaps but ask Robbie Keane how well he played in that match and what happened to his competitive edge after Kevin Thompson had tackled him a couple of times. Now you can say what you like about the state of refereeing in Scotland but sometimes you just have to take one for the team. Remember the cup final when we were down to 9 men and big Davie Weir strode out of defence, passed to Naismith who crossed right on to Kenny Millar’s head for the winning goal? It can still be done when we don’t have a full complement of players on the park.

If they are not going to let us win the league as has been stated then at least we can say we tried even with players having yellow and red cards. I can guarantee you that if we would have had a ‘Kevin Thompson’ on the park against Hibs, Porteous would have thought twice about studding Alfie. At it’s basic level football is still a contest of what is inside the head of the players on the pitch. If the opposition respect you then you have done your job.

In the boardroom, I would say for sure that we need more action however difficult it may be. I would say that since Reid, the opposition were able to deploy placemen in positions of power all throughout Scottish football. Some might say that their tactics were dirty in achieving their goals while we continued with ‘dignified silence’. Where did that get us? Apart from Douglas Park’s threatened whistle-blower we haven’t done very much. Maybe it’s time we used the tactics employed by the opposition.

Every time one of our personnel are given a yellow or red card, or are cited by the Compliance Officer we should publicly oppose the charge using video of the incident in corollary with past video of opponents who committed similar infractions(allegedly) and who were never punished. Using precedents set by Celtic asking continually for ‘clarification’ and having their then lawyer Paul McBride QC, making public threats of of legal defence of the charge in question, I’m sure the SPFL/SFA would prefer not to be harassed any more now than they did then.

It’s only a suggestion and may not fit everyone’s taste and if not, give us a course of action to take.

48 minutes ago, craig said:

Talking sense doesnt appear to be popular in this particular thread BD :roflmao:

I've noticed in a few threads that you like to snipe and take pot shots at people, how sensible is that?

You were asked on the previous page for a constructive suggestion going forward for the club but no answer, why?

17 minutes ago, barca72 said:

I've noticed in a few threads that you like to snipe and take pot shots at people, how sensible is that?

You were asked on the previous page for a constructive suggestion going forward for the club but no answer, why?

No answer because it takes a little more attention than a quick hit and run jocular response to BD's.  It is a Friday night, my son turns 16 tomorrow and I am spending time with him - but that's ok mate, just you believe that I am ignoring your post.  I'm not, and I will respond, but I intend on enjoying my weekend and my son's birthday rather than spending all my time on here trying to explain to you why having a "hard man" on the pitch for Rangers is far, far different to Celtic having Scott Brown on the pitch.

If you think I was sniping rather than having a light-hearted jab then there isnt much I can do about that.  I will, however, wish you a good weekend and will respond whenever I actually can find the time.

3 minutes ago, craig said:

No answer because it takes a little more attention than a quick hit and run jocular response to BD's.  It is a Friday night, my son turns 16 tomorrow and I am spending time with him - but that's ok mate, just you believe that I am ignoring your post.  I'm not, and I will respond, but I intend on enjoying my weekend and my son's birthday rather than spending all my time on here trying to explain to you why having a "hard man" on the pitch for Rangers is far, far different to Celtic having Scott Brown on the pitch.

If you think I was sniping rather than having a light-hearted jab then there isnt much I can do about that.  I will, however, wish you a good weekend and will respond whenever I actually can find the time.

Enjoy your weekend, they are only 16 once.

29 minutes ago, barca72 said:

I suppose you might want us all to quit and go support Queens Park!

No. I didn't say that.

29 minutes ago, barca72 said:

On the pitch you seem to be saying that our players should play nice flowing, attacking and winning football when the other team’s players and the referees allow us to.

No. I didn't say that.

30 minutes ago, barca72 said:

I may be paraphrasing but I think it was Kevin Thompson in an interview that quoted Walter Smith as saying ‘...if you have played 15 mins. and you don’t have a yellow card for your tackling, you’re not trying hard enough’. A wee bit extreme perhaps but ask Robbie Keane how well he played in that match and what happened to his competitive edge after Kevin Thompson had tackled him a couple of times. Now you can say what you like about the state of refereeing in Scotland but sometimes you just have to take one for the team.

Things have changed, including the way that referees act in games involving us. if you're harking back to incidents 12 years ago to prove a point then perhaps you're missing it.

33 minutes ago, barca72 said:

Remember the cup final when we were down to 9 men and big Davie Weir strode out of defence, passed to Naismith who crossed right on to Kenny Millar’s head for the winning goal? It can still be done when we don’t have a full complement of players on the park.

Yes, I was there and we were lucky in a number of ways that day, including the fact that we were only playing St Mirren. Are you suggesting that we don't worry about getting players sent off?

35 minutes ago, barca72 said:

I can guarantee you that if we would have had a ‘Kevin Thompson’ on the park against Hibs, Porteous would have thought twice about studding Alfie. 

You really can't guarantee that. Porteous would be delighted at one of our players taking the bait, reacting and getting sent off. You'e wanting our p[layers o fall into thei traps.

38 minutes ago, barca72 said:

I would say that since Reid, the opposition were able to deploy placemen in positions of power all throughout Scottish football. Some might say that their tactics were dirty in achieving their goals while we continued with ‘dignified silence’. Where did that get us? Apart from Douglas Park’s threatened whistle-blower we haven’t done very much. Maybe it’s time we used the tactics employed by the opposition.

Agreed.

38 minutes ago, barca72 said:

Every time one of our personnel are given a yellow or red card, or are cited by the Compliance Officer we should publicly oppose the charge using video of the incident in corollary with past video of opponents who committed similar infractions(allegedly) and who were never punished. Using precedents set by Celtic asking continually for ‘clarification’ and having their then lawyer Paul McBride QC, making public threats of of legal defence of the charge in question, I’m sure the SPFL/SFA would prefer not to be harassed any more now than they did then.

Agreed. That's the kind of reaction we need.