Europa League 2020/21 Round of 32 Draw: Royal Antwerp v RANGERS

That is the second club from Belguim we've been drawn against in one single campaign.

Previously, we'd been drawn against clubs from that country only 3 times in 64 years of playing European football.

1958 Anderlecht: EC Qualifier, 7-2 agg.win

1962 Standard: EC Quarter-Final, 3-4 agg.defeat

1992 Bruges: CL GpStage, Home win / Away draw

2020 Standard: EL GpStage, H & A wins

Total 6 wins in 8 and only one defeat but a costly one that prevented a shot at a EC semi-final.

I also recall the away draw in Bruges being a game that we should have won.

Edited by buster.

45 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Antwerp are going through a Celticesque run of form. 3 wins and 5 losses in their last 10 games.

Tie is two months away so form today will probably be gone tomorrow.

22/10/20 UEL Ludogorets 1 - 2 Antwerp View events
29/10/20 UEL Antwerp 1 - 0 Tottenham Hotspur View events
05/11/20 UEL Antwerp 0 - 1 LASK View events
26/11/20 UEL LASK 0 - 2 Antwerp View events
03/12/20 UEL Antwerp 3 - 1 Ludogorets View events
10/12/20 UEL Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 0 Antwerp View events
18/02/21 UEL Antwerp 21 : 00 Rangers  
25/02/21 UEL Rangers 21 : 00 Antwerp
Edited by buster.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

That is the second club from Belguim we've been drawn against in one single campaign.

Previously, we'd been drawn against clubs from that country only 3 times in 64 years of playing European football.

1992 Bruges: CL GpStage, Home win / Away draw

I also recall the away draw in Bruges being a game that we should have won.

I went over to Bruges for that game. Yeah, we possibly should have won but I recall being relatively happy with a draw.

Just now, Bluedell said:

I went over to Bruges for that game. Yeah, we possibly should have won but I recall being relatively happy with a draw.

I watched the whole 90 minutes in the middle of a Spanish night.

The CL was new and I don't think a Spanish team had qualified for the group stage and they showed most, if not all full matches on council TV.....but there was an order and Brugge v Rangers was given an approx. 3am slot.

The Marseille v Rangers game was shown live throughout Spain on the main channel, as it happened.

I had a long drive that day and got in a little late. Turned the TV on and in that instant, Marseille scored, horrible deflated feeling. That night was our big opportunity.

37 minutes ago, buster. said:

I watched the whole 90 minutes in the middle of a Spanish night.

The CL was new and I don't think a Spanish team had qualified for the group stage and they showed most, if not all full matches on council TV.....but there was an order and Brugge v Rangers was given an approx. 3am slot.

The Marseille v Rangers game was shown live throughout Spain on the main channel, as it happened.

I had a long drive that day and got in a little late. Turned the TV on and in that instant, Marseille scored, horrible deflated feeling. That night was our big opportunity.

I'd been to the Lyngby, CSKA and Bruges games and my money had run out by the Marseille game as I was getting married later that year, so I didn't go.  It was a hellish trip, in and out in the one day. 

Yeah, just one more goal in that game and we were through to the final, and I fancied our chances against that Milan side.

17 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'd been to the Lyngby, CSKA and Bruges games and my money had run out by the Marseille game as I was getting married later that year, so I didn't go.  It was a hellish trip, in and out in the one day. 

Yeah, just one more goal in that game and we were through to the final, and I fancied our chances against that Milan side.

The three you went to were within a relative stones throw of each other, Marseille would have been a lot warmer but significantly further away. Perhaps cheaper than getting married though.

I was in Brugges back in the interrailing 80's and managed to score myself !!

Edited by buster.

A Flemish guy called Bert drove a tourist route bus I was on in South Africa.  He wasn't a football fan (I checked).

Hopefully we're still in great form when we play this lot.  Qualifying for the last 16 two years running would be a very good achievement.