Rangers announce 150th anniversary friendly with Arsenal

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Surely they mean for our 149th anniversary?

On 20th August 1973, we played Arsenal in our Centenary celebratory game, 101 years and six months after our founding in the second week of February 1872. It was a ridiculously hot evening and the official attendance was given as 85,000, it was easily touching 100,000. Of course, every true Bear wanted to be at the Centenary match, but Rangers decided to revert to 19th Century prices and the price of entry mirrored the first charges of entry to Burnbank, one Shilling. Since Decimalisation had just occurred, the cost of going through the turnstile was 5 new pence(5p).

The game was more than decent, we were winning 1-0 from a fine Derek Parlane first half strike. We held the lead until injury time when we conceded two late goals in ninety seconds. I think Alan Ball scored? Certainly, he played keepie-up in front of the old Derry and antagonised the majority of those in attendance. Alan of the squeaky Jimmy Cltheroe voice was the hate figure of choice for all Scots supporters in those days, and he revelled in it.

Maybe this time, the Club will allow fans in at Glasgow Green(Fleshers' Haugh) prices?

59 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

The game was more than decent, we were winning 1-0 from a fine Derek Parlane first half strike. We held the lead until injury time when we conceded two late goals in ninety seconds. I think Alan Ball scored? Certainly, he played keepie-up in front of the old Derry and antagonised the majority of those in attendance. Alan of the squeaky Jimmy Cltheroe voice was the hate figure of choice for all Scots supporters in those days, and he revelled in it.

Charlie George and John Radford, I believe.

59 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Maybe this time, the Club will allow fans in at Glasgow Green(Fleshers' Haugh) prices?

I've corrected it to a more relevant question.

31 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Charlie George and John Radford, I believe.

I've corrected it to a more relevant question.

Charlie George, there's a blast from the past.

A truly gifted player, scored a wonderful goal in the '71 FA Cup final against Liverpool. An England international, I think he ended his career at Derby County?

Radford was a prolific scorer, but I think his natural game was stymied by Bertie Mee? 

I remember the game quite well, the heat and humidity were stifling. There was an article in the Rangers News whereby the Rangers medical team were expressing alarm at the weight loss of the Rangers players during the game. They claimed Parlane lost a stone(14 pounds) during the 90 minutes.