I hope Rangers aren’t going to spend money on litigation that may be fruitless.  It’s not just the expense. Think of the enemy’s preening when failure is hailed as exoneration by the press.  Let’s hope the advice is 85% + chance of success and let’s hope the advice is sound.

Better to issue a statement that A, B and C, from positions of responsibility, have recklessly made pronouncements based on false evidence, that A, B and C should retract and apologise and that failure on their part to do so can be seen by the general  public as defiance of the truth thus affecting the credibility of any future utterances of A, B and C.

That would pass the risk of litigation back to those who mouthed off.

Rangers cannot do anything much about the defamation of supporters, the claims of Sturgeon and others about vile anti-Irish, anti-Catholic conduct. That needs somebody like Andrew Neil.

Edited by Scott7

Yousaf has abused his position of power, to an extent but I'm doubtful he can be prosecuted for anything he Tweeted.

The creature that wrote the article for the Evening News just appears to be a very bitter, entrenched Irish/Scottish nationalist (I could use another word for this type) but I doubt she wrote anything that would result in a conviction.

Hopefully Rangers taking action might make these foul people think before spouting shite in future (don't hold your breath).

What is the club supposed to do? There are universal howls of criticism from fans when Rangers does nothing or makes a toothless statement. Now that the board have instigated legal proceedings we have fans questioning the wisdom and cost. Make up your fucking minds.

I suppose that the Club is of the opinion that it has a broader back than any/all of those individuals it wishes to pursue, and that it has a very decent chance of obtaining a judgement against them (all of them, hopefully). 

Those who the Club wishes to pursue have to consider their costs against the likelihood of a successful defence, and the likely financial fallout of an unsuccessful one. 

By going onto the front foot with a series of, on balance, winnable cases, the Club may be able to force the targets to, say, admit liability, issue profuse and public apologies, accept the Club's costs to date, and make a token payment to a charity of the Club's choosing. 

I hope to god it is acting under advisement on this. 

Edited by Uilleam

32 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I suppose that the Club is of the opinion that it has a broader back than any/all of those individuals it wishes to pursue, and that it has a very decent chance of obtaining a judgement against them (all of them, hopefully). 

Those who the Club wishes to pursue have to consider their costs against the likelihood of a successful defence, and the likely financial fallout of an unsuccessful one. 

By going onto the front foot with a series of, on balance, winnable cases, the Club may be able to force the targets to, say, admit liability, issue profuse and public apologies, accept the Club's costs to date, and make a token payment to a charity of the Club's choosing. 

I hope to god it is acting under advisement on this. 

There have been reassuring signs of wiser heads taking decisions at the club in recent times.