Pre-Season Megathread | Rangers 2 (Sakala 54; Itten 77) - 1 Real Madrid [FT]

Well it really was good to be back after 500 days away from the place!

Even though it was an undercooked reserve side we were playing, our sharpness and intensity was clear throughout and our energy in the press was impressive on a very hot day and led to our first goal and a number of other chances (how did Kent miss from there!).

Having watched most of the Tranmere game, wee bits of the Arsenal and all of the Brighton game I didn’t think we were even close to ready but on today’s showing we look just fine and credit to all involved in getting to this stage bang on time.

Sakala looks impressive and may give us different options up front, and Itten continued his impressive pre-season with another strong display. Kamara purred through the game and should be our number 1 midfield pick while he is here, he is improving his game all the time and is going to be a fantastic player if he picks the right club when it’s time to move, which sadly I think might be soon.

During this pre-season I don’t think we have looked as good defensively or as ruthless in attack as we were this time last year and that will of course be a slight worry but it was a very different preseason this time due to no Euro qualifying before the league campaign starts, so I think we should be fairly relaxed and trust that our management team have it all under control.

I loved watching Marcelo today, he was majestic and strolled the game. As Gonzo said above, shows how far we have come when we are matching and beating teams that contain the likes of Marcelo, Jovic, Isco, Rodrygo et al. 

17 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I seen that @ian1964 but no matter the cost of some of those squad players, that was practically a reserve side and their first preseason game with their first competitive game still a few weeks away. Marcelo was top class though and it was a delight to watch him play but with no Benzema, Courtois, Militao, Verane,  Casimero, Modric, Asensio, Vinicious Bale etc there can be no question this was not anywhere close to their first choice side.

2 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I seen that @ian1964 but no matter the cost of some of those squad players, that was practically a reserve side and their first preseason game with their first competitive game still a few weeks away. Marcelo was top class though and it was a delight to watch him play but with no Benzema, Courtois, Militao, Verane,  Casimero, Modric, Asensio, Vinicious Bale etc there can be no question this was not anywhere close to their first choice side.

Rangers will never be able to beat Real Madrid! I was concentrating on our performance mate, I was very happy with our performance, as I said previously the result is immaterial, we seem to be ready for kick off and the pleasing thing is we played very well so I'm beginning to feel confident for the up coming season ?

8 hours ago, ian1964 said:

You can open the bidding at £50 million worth every penny in today's bonkers prices.And Real Madrid are 6/4  joint favourites to win their league. 

Edited by compo