Pre-Season Megathread | Rangers 2 (Sakala 54; Itten 77) - 1 Real Madrid [FT]

9 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I seen that @ian1964 but no matter the cost of some of those squad players, that was practically a reserve side and their first preseason game with their first competitive game still a few weeks away. Marcelo was top class though and it was a delight to watch him play but with no Benzema, Courtois, Militao, Verane,  Casimero, Modric, Asensio, Vinicious Bale etc there can be no question this was not anywhere close to their first choice side.

Hazard, Kroos, Alaba, Carvajal, Mendy... 

Just thought I'd continue.

No Zidane, either. :D 

I was getting a bit concerned watching the friendlies. I know it's all about game time but there seemed a lack of cohesion and lack of goal chances.

However, after the Real Madrid game my nerves are settled. SG and his team seem to have paced things perfectly. The play against Real Madrid was great to watch. Attacking with pace. Nice passes. Little flicks. Lundstram skinning Marcelo. Sakala's smile.

Looking forward to the season ahead.

Real still put out a team of talented players and it was the manner of the win which was pleasing, not just the result.

I’m feeling better about the beginning of the season now. It has been strange having so many first teamers missing in preseason. And even yesterday we started the game without arguably 3/4 starting players in Aribo, Jack, Roofe and Morelos. And some of those who did start haven’t had a run of games, so it was pleasing to see that they handled a more demanding fixture just fine. 

I’m just anxious to get the close of the transfer window now. We have some excellent players who, if we keep, we will surely win the league again. But we look strong enough to cope with the loss of one big player. 

Edited by DMAA

11 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I seen that @ian1964 but no matter the cost of some of those squad players, that was practically a reserve side and their first preseason game with their first competitive game still a few weeks away. Marcelo was top class though and it was a delight to watch him play but with no Benzema, Courtois, Militao, Verane,  Casimero, Modric, Asensio, Vinicious Bale etc there can be no question this was not anywhere close to their first choice side.

Wasn’t their first pre-season game mate.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Incidentally, the Real Madrid fans were slating Marcelo's performance. 

I wasn’t nearly as impressed by him as some on here are.

Thought he was very mediocre.