Letter From Our Captain

6 hours ago, CammyF said:

Or better still engage with said sportsmen and tell them tour thoughts.

I think footballers should stand against other criminal acts at the start of matches, in order to lead the way for society.

Maybe a wave to stand against tax evasion (Messi, Ronaldo) and a bow to stand against child grooming (Adam Johnson and Leigh Griffiths).  

Fans should face prison sentences for booing these acts, undoubtedly.  How dare paying customers question anything.  As Tavernier says, the players aren't interested in political organisations - ignorance is strength.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think footballers should stand against other criminal acts at the start of matches, in order to lead the way for society.

Maybe a wave to stand against tax evasion (Messi, Ronaldo) and a bow to stand against child grooming (Adam Johnson and Leigh Griffiths).  

Fans should face prison sentences for booing these acts, undoubtedly.  How dare paying customers question anything.  As Tavernier says, the players aren't interested in political organisations - ignorance is strength.

But our players haven't been victim of tax evasion or child grooming as far as I am aware, they have however been victims of racial abuse. 

Reducing their stance against racism to sarcasm is trivalising (at best) the abuse they have and no doubt will continue to receive. 

Still no constructive arguement of why it is correct to boo them, just off the cuff sarcasm (lowest form of wit).

My last words on this subject; taking the knee as a protest pre-dates BLM by almost half a century and if you can't / fail to understand Tavs letter or support our players (Or keep your trap shut for 5-10 seconds), take your support elsewhere. 

Edited by CammyF

It's clearly beyond the reach of some but there's actually a serious issue here and it isn't whether footballers make indulge in virtue signals before a game. The worry for me is the ease with which cancel culture is introduced to the debate. 

It seems completely fair that fans choose to agree with Tavernier's request, just as it should be equally fair to disagree with him. Instead we have calls for dissenters to be removed from their seats and banned from Ibrox for life. And to justify it they are labelled as "racists" - now where have we seen that trick played out before? Frankly, I find it sickening that fellow fans can be so keen to brand as racists people they don't know and have never spoken to. 

Personally, I don't care what the players do before they start playing but I absolutely resent the attempt by some to create a compliance culture that dictates what fans can think or say and advocates banning people from Ibrox who don't share the opinions of their particular hive. The arrogance of this is staggering.

If the players are genuinely sincere in their views then I doubt they will be upset by some fans expressing their opinions but, regardless, it is surely far more important that fans feel free to say and do what they want within the law without the ridiculous threat of being branded a racist. So much is going well at our club, let's not spoil it by acting like petty tyrants.

Edited by Bill

21 minutes ago, Bill said:

let's not spoil it by acting like petty tyrants.

Congratulations, you've described the "booers" to a "t" there.

And still no constructive arguement as to why it's OK to boo our players who are simply showing their support to our players who have been racially abused. 

An honest question did you even bother to read Tavs letter? Did you read the part where he says everyone of our BAME players suffered racial abuse last season. 

Nothing to do with cancel culture or any other buzz words you want to throw about, all to do with supporting players who have received racial abuse.

How can anyone justify booing players who are "kneeling against racism"?

Edited by CammyF

8 minutes ago, CammyF said:

How can anyone justify booing players who are "kneeling against racism"?

Has anyone actually done that? Or are you simply ranting for the sake of it?

3 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

no one has to agree or disagree they just have to stay silent and not embarrass themselves and the club. 

You there! Silence at the back.