Ross Wilson Appreciation thread

13 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Certainly possible. I think the answer though lies most likely in the backing Gerrard has been given at Villa. 

Hard to turn that down given the lack of funds at rangers. He probably knew he had taken us as far as he could.

Either way, it was a transition we knew we would have to face and Ross Wilson's finest hour so far was the way that transition was handled.

In light of the result last night. And the player that scored twice against us. A 900k signing from Japan who likes a shot outside the box. We have all speculated that we pushed the boat out to get Ramsey as there were no alternatives available. We reportedly paid a 2 Million loan fee despite subsiding a very small portion of the wage. Ramsey is a great signing and I'm going to enjoy watching him play for us. But was it the right signing? time will tell.

That little chap has played a few games for Celtic so far yet had a big impact. They also signed a MK Dons player with a small outlay. Midfielder. He did ok against us although I admit i didn't watch him closely. There are players out there if you are looking in the right places.

Perhaps the 'only bring in better' approach we had should (in retrospect i admit) been replaced with 'lets bring in hungry players we can improve'. I say that given the likely turnover of players we are sure to see in the summer, and the fact most of this squad has been here for some time and the squad seems to have gone stale.

To add. Wilson is a DoF. Not a scout. Are our signings not adding value down to Wilson, or Scoulding and the scouting team for not providing the right options?

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

51 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

In light of the result last night. And the player that scored twice against us. A 900k signing from Japan who likes a shot outside the box. We have all speculated that we pushed the boat out to get Ramsey as there were no alternatives available. We reportedly paid a 2 Million loan fee despite subsiding a very small portion of the wage. Ramsey is a great signing and I'm going to enjoy watching him play for us. But was it the right signing? time will tell.

That little chap has played a few games for Celtic so far yet had a big impact. They also signed a MK Dons player with a small outlay. Midfielder. He did ok against us although I admit i didn't watch him closely. There are players out there if you are looking in the right places.

Perhaps the 'only bring in better' approach we had should (in retrospect i admit) been replaced with 'lets bring in hungry players we can improve'. I say that given the likely turnover of players we are sure to see in the summer, and the fact most of this squad has been here for some time and the squad seems to have gone stale.

To add. Wilson is a DoF. Not a scout. Are our signings not adding value down to Wilson, or Scoulding and the scouting team for not providing the right options?

Oh--we're not back on the 'let's slate everything to do with our club because we lost a game' mentality, are we?

I don't think we can criticise our recruitment -- maybe during the summer, as there was a cut-back, but that was caused by financial deficits that have been building, which was/is understandable. 

I think we are adding value. Bassey and Hagi are good signings. Sakala, Sands, Souttar and Zukowski, most recently, look like good signings. 

The only difference is the sheer quantity of players they've signed; they've really pushed the boat out. We've not needed to. 

The only thing I would criticise is the lack of outgoings. We need to sell when our assets are at peak value - it's just that when they are, fans keep saying they're too important.  

Their signings are based on Angie; players that he knows and likes, and that work within his system. When he goes that collapses. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Oh--we're not back on the 'let's slate everything to do with our club because we lost a game' mentality, are we?

I don't think we can criticise our recruitment -- maybe during the summer, as there was a cut-back, but that was caused by financial deficits that have been building, which was/is understandable. 

I think we are adding value. Bassey and Hagi are good signings. Sakala, Sands, Souttar and Zukowski, most recently, look like good signings. 

The only difference is the sheer quantity of players they've signed; they've really pushed the boat out. We've not needed to. 

The only thing I would criticise is the lack of outgoings. We need to sell when our assets are at peak value - it's just that when they are, fans keep saying they're too important.  

Their signings are based on Angie; players that he knows and likes, and that work within his system. When he goes that collapses. 

Not my intention to slate anything, I was more being objective. I dont think i've slated anyone or anything in my post? Merely a comparison and trying to illustrate there are bargains out there if you know where to look. Bassey and Hagi are definitely good signings. Sakala the jury is out. Sands, Soutter and Zukowski will need a good number of games before I'll judge. 

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Spot on! 

5 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Not my intention to slate anything, I was more being objective. I dont think i've slated anyone or anything in my post? Merely a comparison and trying to illustrate there are bargains out there if you know where to look. Bassey and Hagi are definitely good signings. Sakala the jury is out. Sands, Soutter and Zukowski will need a good number of games before I'll judge. 

Maybe I misinterpreted. 

Like I said, "[T]heir signings are based on Angie; players that he knows and likes, and that work within his system. When he goes that collapses." 

I would not swap policies. I think we've got the better, strategic approach.