[FT] St Johnstone 0 - 1 Rangers (Kamara 3)

21 hours ago, PoohBear said:

I guess I disagree, for me Jack is our most important midfielder and considering we scraped a 1-0 win then I'd say is needed.

Your remark re Jack goes without question. But why would we have needed another DM/CM when the game cried out for someone replacing Aribo, Kent and Arfield, or even one of our CM/DMs? We lacked any sort of cutting edge, pace and relief in the final third, but had Wright, Sakala, Roofe and Lowry on the bench.

17 hours ago, CammyF said:

I think I read somewhere that Greegs has conceded a goal to 75% of the shots he faced (on target). I wonder how many goals we'd have scored this season (and how many extra points we'd have) if we scored from 75% of shots we had on target (Hope that's worded correctly).... 

Looking back at the game last night we were dreadful for 85mins of the game. We were slow and sluggish, we looked uncomfortable with the system and tactics deployed, Balogun and Bassey looked like they played on with injuries, Aribo and Arfield were running on empty after half an hour and our front 2 were so far apart we had no link up play. 

The most baffling part was the lack of subs used. I think GVB only used 1 sub in the Motherwell draw and 'zero last night. Does the manager not trust the players on the bench? 

We can't play the same system / style / pace on Saturday as Aberdeen will as usual play the game like it's their World Cup Final. 

... yet we persist playing with but one striker and half-a-ahndful of attack-minded players who can create chances but don`t put them away. Whilst having 2 strikers on the bench who are deadly (compared to Kent, Aribo and Co.) in front of goals and can play on either side of a central striker.

The system of 1 striker and 3 "attackers" behind him never really worked against the low-block teams, as we simply have too few able people in the box to score, and generally too few attackers anyways.

Seems to me we can debate it until the cows come home. Some of us will be right, some will be wrong but what is undeniable is that our coaching staff are struggling to get anything like the best out of our squad.

Whatever anyone thinks of the recent transfer window, the players we have now are the only ones available and it is absolutely the manager's job to deliver the best possible results they are capable of achieving. We can't improve things by changing the squad, our only options with respect to players is to change the team selection. So the only questions worth asking are these ..... are these players achieving to their potential and is the manager doing all that could be done to maximise results on the park in terms of preparation, motivation, tactics and selection? And if not, why not and what can be done about it?

Edited by Bill

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Who?

Pointed out above too. If you play a attacking 4-3-3, the top 3 shall be able to create and score goals. For months if not years we have played people there who create, but don`t score (enough to validate a automatic starting slot). One  the bench were Roofe and Sakala, who can play right, left or centrally in a top-3. Play them all and see whether they succeed where the others have failed.

Or, play Kent and Sakala on either wing and put Roofe and Morelos through the middle.

You know it makes sense AND whatever has been said about this not being a viable option (is not modern etc.pp.) has since been disproven by three years of attacking toil against the brickwall-gang. Chances created have never won us a single game. Only goals do that ... and if anything, we need find solutions.

23 hours ago, Bill said:

Seems to me we can debate it until the cows come home. Some of us will be right, some will be wrong but what is undeniable is that our coaching staff are struggling to get anything like the best out of our squad.

Whatever anyone thinks of the recent transfer window, the players we have now are the only ones available and it is absolutely the manager's job to deliver the best possible results they are capable of achieving. We can't improve things by changing the squad, our only options with respect to players is to change the team selection. So the only questions worth asking are these ..... are these players achieving to their potential and is the manager doing all that could be done to maximise results on the park in terms of preparation, motivation, tactics and selection? And if not, why not and what can be done about it?

We've not brought in a player in ages that has improved our starting XI. I thought Roofe would be that player but unfortunately he has lived up to injury prone player other fans warned us about.