Official: Rangers Sign Tom Lawrence

Dont know anything about him, but from the Rangers website it seems he is a forward who doesnt score goals. hmmmm. 35 goals in 180 games over 5 years at that level is no great shakes. 28yo so no resale value. I'm struggling to see what he brings to the party here if i'm honest. Sounds like a squad player as he is not playing in front of Alfie, Colak, Kent with those stats.

Can anyone add a bit of context to the stats (which of course dont always give you the true indication),  what are his strengths? Is he a centre forward, striker or more a wide forward, second striker, etc?

I dont like buying from the English Championship generally, I feel that market is vastly overpriced and even more overrated, although of course there will be a few nuggets in there just needing a break. Hopefully our new man is one of those.

One thing I have learned though is to judge the players when the competitive action starts and they are playing for us. Ignore the stats, previous clubs, etc and see for yourself how he fits in and what we can get out of him. Good Luck Tom, welcome to the most critical fanbase in the world!

Lawrence is a winger; predominantly on the left, but can play on the right, too, which is where I think he'll fill in for us. He can also play as a second-striker.

He has a goal contribution (goal or assist) of about 1 in 3. 

He has a knack for long-range shots.

He reminds me of Jordan Jones in the way he runs. He can show a bit of pace and skill, but can also look one-dimensional.

9 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

What does Lawrence offer us that Scott Wright doesn’t?

In 38 odd games last season , he had 111 shots from outside the box , something we sadly lack .

Awaits the " but how many dud he score " comment 🤔 😳 

35 minutes ago, rbr said:

In 38 odd games last season , he had 111 shots from outside the box , something we sadly lack .

Awaits the " but how many dud he score " comment 🤔 😳 

OK, I'll bite. How many did he score.