Ceri Bowley to join Rangers from City Group as first-team coach

I kind of get the point with the model thing but what if we can't find a manager with similar tactics etc. when GvB leaves?

It's all a bit too ifs and buts - neither scenario is going to work perfectly.  

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

I kind of get the point with the model thing but what if we can't find a manager with similar tactics etc. when GvB leaves?

It's all a bit too ifs and buts - neither scenario is going to work perfectly.  

'Similar' is easy enough, I think; it doesn't (shouldn't?) have to be a carbon copy. 

It's the 'ifs' and buts' that this model is aiming to reduce. 

27 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

That's the thing, though. We don't want that. That's giving the manager more and more duties and roles, which get ripped up when he leaves, causing chaos. 

The aim is to have a model that is sustainable. For example, when GvB leaves, we have a functioning model, but also know exactly the type of replacement that can come in to replace GvB. 

I get that this is the theory.

When a manager leaves it is often because something isn't working. What if we find that it is the system that isn't doing what we hoped it would.

Do we continue to force fit ?

Do we always find top coaches, happy to be coached by someone they may or may not respect?

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

I get that this is the theory.

When a manager leaves it is often because something isn't working. What if we find that it is the system that isn't doing what we hoped it would.

Do we continue to force fit ?

Do we always find top coaches, happy to be coached by someone they may or may not respect?

The 'system' is more big picture.

There will always be sufficient differences in managers to adapt and change. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

The 'system' is more big picture.

There will always be sufficient differences in managers to adapt and change. 

'Big picture' was a phrase I heard the new guy say several times in 5 minutes.

I had to turn it off, he was full of textbook phrases. 

I just have my doubts it will work in Scottish football. I obviously may be completely wrong.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

'Big picture' was a phrase I heard the new guy say several times in 5 minutes.

I had to turn it off, he was full of textbook phrases. 

I just have my doubts it will work in Scottish football. I obviously may be completely wrong.

I just thought of Leipzig as an example. 

They have changed their tactical approach. 

To get into the Bundesliga, and during their first few seasons, they were all abut counter-pressing, under Rangnick and Hasenhuttl. Then they bring in Nagelsmann, who brings in a more possession-based approach, which pushes them on. When he leaves they go to Jesse Marsch, who is more of a counter-pressing coach. It doesn't work. They then went to Tedesco, who is more of the possession-based coach. 

They have sufficient scope and ability to adapt their approaches, but the model, the framework doesn't change.  The playing DNA doesn't change. The player recruitment style doesn't change. 

A multi-faceted, systems approach has more chance of success than putting all your Emu eggs in one fat basket. 

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I just thought of Leipzig as an example. 

They have changed their tactical approach. 

To get into the Bundesliga, and during their first few seasons, they were all abut counter-pressing, under Rangnick and Hasenhuttl. Then they bring in Nagelsmann, who brings in a more possession-based approach, which pushes them on. When he leaves they go to Jesse Marsch, who is more of a counter-pressing coach. It doesn't work. They then went to Tedesco, who is more of the possession-based coach. 

They have sufficient scope and ability to adapt their approaches, but the model, the framework doesn't change.  The playing DNA doesn't change. The player recruitment style doesn't change. 

A multi-faceted, systems approach has more chance of success than putting all your Emu eggs in one fat basket. 

How important was financial muscle to Leipzig ?

Bear in mind, we don't have it.

Edited by buster.