Ceri Bowley to join Rangers from City Group as first-team coach

15 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Too many cooks and all that.  

I trust GvB to make good appointments but how many ancillary staff are needed?

Surely coach to player ratio is important?

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Excellent example.

They moved away from it, with Guidolin and Bob Bradley etc., but have moved back with Graham Potter, Steve Cooper and... Russel Martin!? (Perhaps too early to say with Martin, but by all accounts, he seems to be doing well. I certainly enjoy the way he's got them playing.) 

Interesting example to give.... because the Watford guy I had beers with also used Russell Martin as an example... but not a good one - he watched an interview and Martin kept spouting stats (sound familiar Rousseau, lol) about passes etc.... having been pumped 4 or 5 nil.  Watford guys point, rightly, was that stats can matter, but if you have 500 passes and they are all across the backline and going nowhere then they mean nothing, particularly when you get beat

10 hours ago, stewarty said:

Obviously never heard of the guy and I can imagine the subject matter being quite dry... but to me the idea of having a clear footballing strategy and ensuring all of our coaching staff are being developed as much as we develop our players, is core to the sustainability of the club.

I am on the cynical track with this.

You would hope coaches knew how to coach properly before arriving at Auchenhowie and that the manager could manage the operation.

Having listened to this guy for 5 minutes talk about coaches sometimes not seeing big picture because they are too involved on the pitch. I have my doubts he'll make much difference but hey, you got to support your manager, I guess.

34 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

DoF. Forwards coach. Defence coach. Goalkeepers coach. Set piece coach. Throw in coach. Now a coaching coach. 

What’s the manager do?

Manages the coaches????

8 hours ago, Scott7 said:

DoF. Forwards coach. Defence coach. Goalkeepers coach. Set piece coach. Throw in coach. Now a coaching coach. 

What’s the manager do?

Throw in coach? Now there's a coach we could well do with.

12 hours ago, craig said:

Interesting example to give.... because the Watford guy I had beers with also used Russell Martin as an example... but not a good one - he watched an interview and Martin kept spouting stats (sound familiar Rousseau, lol) about passes etc.... having been pumped 4 or 5 nil.  Watford guys point, rightly, was that stats can matter, but if you have 500 passes and they are all across the backline and going nowhere then they mean nothing, particularly when you get beat

This Watford guy sounds like he's got his head up his own arse... :ninja: 

To be fair I don't know much. I just know I like the way he has them playing. 

If he's using passes on their own to suggest they should be winning, that's silly. If it's passes that lead to a much higher xG than the opponent, then that's fine. We know more than most, as Rangers fans, that we can dominate every aspect of a game for 89 minutes, only to lose to an opponent's single chance. Stats will suggest we should have won the game. This is true. 

10 hours ago, buster. said:

I am on the cynical track with this.

You would hope coaches knew how to coach properly before arriving at Auchenhowie and that the manager could manage the operation.

Having listened to this guy for 5 minutes talk about coaches sometimes not seeing big picture because they are too involved on the pitch. I have my doubts he'll make much difference but hey, you got to support your manager, I guess.

That's the thing, though. We don't want that. That's giving the manager more and more duties and roles, which get ripped up when he leaves, causing chaos. 

The aim is to have a model that is sustainable. For example, when GvB leaves, we have a functioning model, but also know exactly the type of replacement that can come in to replace GvB.