6 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

"GIOVANNI VAN BRONCKHORST spoke about taking the defeat to Liverpool 'on the chin' as he came to terms with a barrage of blows that left Rangers punch drunk on Wednesday night.

In reality, only the knockout one remains to be landed. It is no longer a matter of if, only one of when and time will tell who delivers the shattering shot that will see Van Bronckhorst counted out at Ibrox."

That sounds like his opinion rather than him alluding to it IMO.

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

That sounds like his opinion rather than him alluding to it IMO.

Possibly, time will tell.  I count four total hidings in 2022.  Not sure a Rangers manager can last if these continue with the same regularity.  

14 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Do we trust the powers that be make the right call? I’m not so sure.

I don't doubt that Ross Wison could write down a list of very good candidates but the problem will be how many on that list would want to come to Rangers with the current squad, injury list and transfer budget (less pay off to Gio and staff).

A few wouldn't want to know until next summer when they can reshape the squad.

This squad of players will get most managers the tin tack.

An inconsistent mentality runs through too many players, who have been here too long.

I agree that the line in the Chris Jack article looks like his opinion. It could be a steer from another opinion closer to the action, who knows. But bottomline, I don't think it is too much of a secret where Gio is going from here. It is only a matter of timing (between Monday and the end of the season ??). 

Edited by buster.

13 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Possibly, time will tell.  I count four total hidings in 2022.  Not sure a Rangers manager can last if these continue with the same regularity.  

It's the second one against Celtic that is the most damaging IMO, closely followed by the immediate non reaction against Ajax.

What they showed was a manager who couldn't coach or/and motivate a group of players.

Firstly at Parkhead.

We knew what was coming, the players hadn't taken on board the coaching (according to post match interview) and it ended up a lot wose than the Feburary debacle.

(No) Reaction at Ajax

Nuff said.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

I don't doubt that Ross Wison could write down a list of very good candidates but the problem will be how many on that list would want to come to Rangers with the current squad, injury list and transfer budget (less pay off to Gio and staff).

A few wouldn't want to know until next summer when they can reshape the squad.

This squad of players will get most managers the tin tack.

This is my problem with this scenario. Any new manager coming here has to out perform a team who can heavily outspend us transfer wise. It’s a poisoned chalice. Our support demand success no matter what.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Firstly at Parkhead.

We knew what was coming, the players hadn't taken on board the coaching (according to post match interview) and it ended up a lot wose than the Feburary debacle.

(No) Reaction at Ajax

Nuff said.

We knew how Celtc would play at the Piggery.  Our complete lack of wherewithal was galling.

Ajax - no reaction from the heavy defeat at the Piggery but worse for me was the fact it was the club's first appearance in the CL for over a decade and we showed no fight or desire whatsoever.  Then there was GvB's post-match interview, which was unforgivable.

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

This is my problem with this scenario. Any new manager coming here has to out perform a team who can heavily outspend us transfer wise. It’s a poisoned chalice. Our support demand success no matter what.

The short to medium term outlook is bleak IMO and the main reason behind that is finance.

We could get lucky of course.

Make a really good managerial appointment and get the recruitment spot on.

I said a few weeks ago that this was beginning to look like the Celtic/Lennon implosion. Not exactly but along the same lines. Well, we obviously should have consolidated on 55 with 56 BUT they got lucky with their managerial appointment and recruitment* and complicated what should have been a shoe-in for us.

*I refer back to finances.

Their luck was alot to do with the amount of money thrown at it.

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We knew how Celtc would play at the Piggery.  Our complete lack of wherewithal was galling.

Ajax - no reaction from the heavy defeat at the Piggery but worse for me was the fact it was the club's first appearance in the CL for over a decade and we showed no fight or desire whatsoever.  Then there was GvB's post-match interview, which was unforgivable.

I watched the Gio presser yesterday and it might just be confirmation bias on my part, but it felt like he was going through the motions.

10 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I don't think it just comes down to spending. If a manager has a clear plan and playing style that he can get the players to believe in, it can be done. Celtic are not spending on fortunes on A-star players. They have a manager with a clear plan. One year in and I'm still trying to work out what Gio's plan is. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I know it can be horses for courses (especially the transition from SPL to Europe) but why don't we just use the same mantra and formation in every SPL game? He just tinkers too much for my liking and this is detrimental to consistency and momentum. For example, I have no clue who will start today. That's not because of injuries, that's because he doesn't know what his best formation is.