Financial Fair Play

1 hour ago, Bill said:

It is in financial terms I'm afraid

Rangers are currently 33rd in UEFA coefficient table, probably around 40-50th in terms of revenue (unable to confirm but is an educated guess - Man City are 1st with 644m revenue - Lazio are 30th with 163m revenue, Deloitte 2021) of about 1037 professional clubs across 37 professional leagues in Europe.

So we're well within the top 3-5% depending on whether it's based on performance or revenue. Dwarfed by the biggest clubs in England and Spain but not small by any means. 

1 hour ago, weebluedevil said:

Rangers are currently 33rd in UEFA coefficient table, probably around 40-50th in terms of revenue (unable to confirm but is an educated guess - Man City are 1st with 644m revenue - Lazio are 30th with 163m revenue, Deloitte 2021) of about 1037 professional clubs across 37 professional leagues in Europe.

So we're well within the top 3-5% depending on whether it's based on performance or revenue. Dwarfed by the biggest clubs in England and Spain but not small by any means. 

Yes, you make very good points but I think quoting revenue figures counts for little in itself. What makes a "big" club is being able to spend big and with the financial freedom to spend when you want to. That means the ability to generate either profit or debt - whether operating profit or through realising assets. Since FFP is intended specifically to stop clubs spending beyond their means (ie accumulating large and inappropriate amounts of debt), being a big club in financial terms means being profitable over UEFA's 3-year assessment period. On that basis I don't think we are so big yet ... but I admit I have little idea how other clubs compare in these terms.

I'm still not sure what is counted in or out of FFP arrangements. If you take the director loans that were converted to equity, the loans are surely income in cash terms (we certainly used enough of it to service debt), while the sale of shares to cancel out the loans are an income-neutral movement on the balance sheet. What then if there's a new share issue to all-comers, is the cash generated counted as income ... it seems to me it should be in terms of how much we can then spend within FFP constraints. I'd love if one of our money mechanics could shed some light on this.

Edited by Bill

14 minutes ago, rbr said:

its amazing the number of fans who even after everything we went through , after the last few years of massive losses and the front loading of investment which culminated in winning 55, still have no clue as to how football finances work .

I had a discussion at work yesterday with a fellow fan and he thought we had all the transfer money already in the bank , there are fans that dont understand how these deals are structured and that usually they are paid over the period of the contract , also the VAT element , its mental how over the top our fanbase really is at times , there is never any logic applied .

The club are changing but need to speed up the emphasis on youth. Not easy but necessary. As FFP regulations are gradually introduced, our youth system/pathway has to gradually take over and provide say, half of our starting XI.

The full details and ramifications of FFP need to be spelled out (via third parties?) prior to the club communicating with the support on the continuing way forward and the patience that will be required. eg. AGM 2022

We need to be clear that things are changing and resource allocation will be  different/challenging.

15 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We have enough people in Scotland belittling us, without joining in ourselves. 

Very recently over 100,000 Rangers fans turned up for a match in Southern Spain.  

That's taking offendedness to a new level 😂

8 hours ago, buster. said:

The club are changing but need to speed up the emphasis on youth. Not easy but necessary. As FFP regulations are gradually introduced, our youth system/pathway has to gradually take over and provide say, half of our starting XI.

The full details and ramifications of FFP need to be spelled out (via third parties?) prior to the club communicating with the support on the continuing way forward and the patience that will be required. eg. AGM 2022

We need to be clear that things are changing and resource allocation will be  different/challenging.

I’d doubt very much indeed if we’ll ever see half of our first team starting XI from our youth system. For whatever reason we don’t produce enough youths who are good enough for where we want to be. Last week against QoS we had three(Devine,King & Ure) in the starting XI and I can’t say I was greatly impressed with any of them.

Our future(in my opinion) lies with low cost Alfredo Morelos-type signings and out-of-contract players of the likes of Lundstrum, Lawrence, Jack etc. That may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I see little alternative