The Board Address Fan Concerns

Rangers Youtube channel has just published a short video (PART ONE) of Vice Chairman, John Bennett touching on communication issues between club and support.

Part Two is to be released later in the day.

Edited by buster.

John Bennett acknowledges SOME valid criticism regards communication from board to fans hasn't been good enough and wants to fix it......A welcome development.

I note he uses the example of the Super League when The Sydney Cup might have been a more relevant.

Small thing, but wouldn't it have been better communication to have released this interview in its full form, rather than bit by bit.

edit

I note the full interview is available to RTV subscribers.

Given subject matter, not the brightest move, IMO.

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, BEARGER said:

The Board wish to communicate with the fans, but only if the fans pay for the privilege. 

My reading of the general situation is that the club desperately need to maintain and increase revenue streams if, going forward, they want to keep our first team competitive at home and abroad. 

This has to be done within the parameters of the gradual implementation of the new FFP regulations. These new rules would seem to be a bit of a game changer.

To get revenue up, they need the fanbase to constantly buy (in). This is getting to a stage where we are seeing a little bit of pushback. Mostly verbal, but as time goes on and the cost of living increases, it will eventually bite.

However, the fanbase didn't want the Sydney Cup either.

Fine, but one USP we have is the rivalry with Celtic and the board can legitimately say to the fanbase (IMO)... ok, we won't go, but further down the line, that will produce an effect that we and you won't like.

Neo-liberal economics (extreme capitalism) has had a very clear effect on football. Three decades ago, we (Campbell Money/Rangers) helped get the CL underway and little by little (boiling a frog) the financial distribution has skewed to the point, we only want to be there for the money. Basically, getting pumped for money.

The general financial direction of travel for the sport and our cost of living won't make communication from the club to the fanbase more difficult.....BUT it will make it something that won't go down well.

Any board will make mistakes but I have a degree of sympathy for our board given the general situation, partly out of their control.

A frank honesty and a plan is what they need to offer.

Ps. Haven't seen full interview as yet.

Edited by buster.

Nearly always impressed by John Bennett, a good communicator who has an air of competence.

Seventeen minutes that touched on a lot but didn't really go in to much detail.

The accounts and AGM will fill some of those gaps.

The rest has fingers crossed for our performances/results to pick up.

He stressed that 'expert opinion' states we have the best squad for years. IMO, this is what is being completely misread, it isn't. Some of the players may come good but I refer to this season.

47 minutes ago, buster. said:

boiling a frog

buster, I rarely disagree with you on football and though we have philosophical differences of opinion in other matters they are pretty much within the parameters of tolerance. But boiling a frog! Come on, man. There are limits.

6 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

buster, I rarely disagree with you on football and though we have philosophical differences of opinion in other matters they are pretty much within the parameters of tolerance. But boiling a frog! Come on, man. There are limits.

Scott, it is an analogy.

Type it into a search engine and it will be explained.

43 minutes ago, buster. said:

He stressed that 'expert opinion' states we have the best squad for years. IMO, this is what is being completely misread, it isn't. Some of the players may come good but I refer to this season.

Emperors new clothes. We can all see the state of the squad with our own eyes. Maybe the experts can explain to us how all these multi million pound injured players are suddenly going to get fit and start contributing. Perhaps they can tell us why we shouldn't worry about the contracts and lack of performances from Morelos and Kent. Perhaps they can explain why they spend 8 million on Davies and Yilmaz (not a criticism of the players) when other areas of the squad had been crying out for investment for years.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats