Now that we have seen the team including new signings for almost 10 games I wonder what everyone thinks our best team is bar WS success so far.

Ive been impressed by Cuellar, McCulloch (i wanted him for ages) and Darcheville out of the summer signings and Cousin and Naismith will come good.

I havent been impressed with Whittaker or Thomson. Im not saying they have been poor but they havent stood out as 2 million pound signings when Sebo didnt get a chance like they have.

I personally would still like to see Buffel in the team but playing him is tricky due to numbers in the midfield. Id say our strongers XI would be these players but getting themin the same team is difficult due to Buffels free role and the team would lack width.

______________McGregor______________

Hutton_____Weir_______Cuellar____Smith

__________Hemdani___Ferguson________

___Buffel____________________McCulloch

__________Cousin____Darcheville_______

------------McGreggor

Hutton-----Weir ---Cuellar----Smith

Novo----Thomson--Ferguson--McCulloch

--------Darcheville---Cousin

I havent been overly impressed with Whittaker either, Nacho offers so much more, i agree that Cousin will come good but now that Boyd has started to get a few goals, it will be interesting to see who partners JCD.

------------McGreggor

Hutton-----Weir ---Cuellar----Smith

Novo----Thomson--Ferguson--McCulloch

--------Darcheville---Cousin

I havent been overly impressed with Whittaker either, Nacho offers so much more, i agree that Cousin will come good but now that Boyd has started to get a few goals, it will be interesting to see who partners JCD.

You have a shout to put Novo in instead of Tam Buff but Hemdani HAS to be in ahead of Thomson IMO.

But the rest :cheers: Its safe to say we have the bases of 8 or 9 who are there

Novo does offer us more, but only as a sub. Very rarely does he warrant his inclusion over a full game, I'm afraid it just shows up his weaknesses.

I think Thomson is one of those players who won't get many plaudits but he does his job very well.

Cousin looks like a quality signing but could do with a kick up the arse as he's in danger of making Boyd look like a real worker at times. But he has more skill which I think makes up for/hides his shortcomings in the effort stakes.

Whittaker is much more skillful than I thought and I'm sure he'll settle in to become a great player for us, but does seem a bit out of his depth sometimes.

As for Sebo, if you compare the stats for him and Cousin at the start of the season, it will blow the "never given a chance theory" out of the water. Although you could argue Sebo was playing in a much weaker all-round team. But let's move on from that particular stuck record ;)

I genuinely don't know our strongest team just now. Even in theory. Every game is changing my mind about certain players at the moment and we've not even seen Gow or Burke in the SPL for example. Buffel is obviously talented, but will he ever do enough to convince us he's actually the real deal and not just a lazy, overpaid, injury-prone waster? Charlie Adam has hardly played, but does anyone else in our squad have the ability to strike a ball as sweetly as he does?

Then look up front, see who's topping our goal scoring charts again despite not starting much.

All very good problems to have and its been a very, very long time since we've had this strong a squad. Something like this maybe?

______________McGregor______________

Hutton_____Weir_______Cuellar____Smith

__________Hemdani___Ferguson________

___Whittaker____________________McCulloch

__________Cousin____Darcheville_______

But even then, I'd be tempted to put Naismith in there as he gives us something totally different, maybe play him wide on the right in a free role?

Two teams for me - one for normal SPL duty and another for European matches:

SPL XI:

___________________McGregor____________________

Hutton______Weir_____________Cuellar_________Smith

Whittaker____Ferguson________Thomson____McCulloch

___________Naismith__________Darcheville__________

Euro XI:

___________________McGregor____________________

Hutton______Weir_____________Cuellar_________Smith

________Hemdani_______________Thomson__________

Whittaker___________Ferguson____________McCulloch

__________________Darcheville____________________

Regarding the Thomson/Hemdani argument, my thoughts on that are Hemdani - while being a better technical player - isn't as mobile, as strong, as quick or as forward thinking as Thomson.

As such, playing Hemdani alongside Ferguson means we wouldn't get the most out of Fergie in terms of creativity. By playing Thomson he frees up Ferguson to get that wee bit further forward while utilising Whittaker and McCulloch in the wider roles (although both tuck in nicely) means we have to genuine box-to-box midfielders as well.

No Boyd in the starting line up from anyone?

I still think he'd probably be the first name on my team

Don't blame you for that but, IMO, a Naismith/JCD partnership offers more than any duo with Boyd.

In any event, while the original post is a valid and interesting one, we've already seen this season that it's extremely unlikely the manager will employ the same starting XI very often.

Thus, all the fringe players and even ones perhaps a level above that (Cousin, Novo, Boyd, Adam et al) will all feature just as often as any of the subjective first picks names above.

That's great news considering the number of new players we needed to bring in. At the same time, I'd like to see the manager try to keep as settled a team as possible to maximise performance level.

:cheers: