The Champions League has moved on; we haven’t

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I've a feeling you're back to things like "effort" or "trying" or even "looking like you care". Perhaps what you're really on about is "trying to compete".

It's good that you've found something to indulge your criticism of the team as a whole or just certain individuals but I'm still at a loss to understand what those vague, misty-eyed concepts have to do with "competing".

It's simple, if you can't match the preparation, tactics, organisation, discipline, skills and application of your opponent then you cannot compete in any real sense of the word. We appear to be so far adrift in the requirements that would allow us to compete .... that we can't.

It's just where we are. It will get better.

Application sounds awfully like another word for effort. I feel like you are picking at a thread that isn't there.

35 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Application sounds awfully like another word for effort.

It might sound like it to you but it's actually completely different.

Application is about how well you apply the skills, resources and experience at your disposal to meet a specific challenge.

Your choice of "effort" implies only the devotion of more or less energy, which of course is meaningless unless you know whether your application is appropriate or competitive in the first place. There's little point trying harder if you're already doing the wrong thing, which it seems to me is what many fans are calling for. Try harder, make more effort, sweat more, run faster, run further ... all very commendable but little guarantee of making you more competitive against Napoli. We can have the team run around like blue-arsed demons but to compete in the CL we must first have players with the skills and intelligence to match our opponents. No amount of effort will change that and when the players you do have are so far below the calibre needed for the CL, it's hardly surprising when that realisation affects their "effort". That's all I'm saying.

The title of this thread, "The Champions League has moved on; we haven’t", states that our club has been left behind by the Champions League regulars. This is undoubtedly true. How we want to see the club close that massive gap could be broken down into different categories such as finances (ultimately & unfortunately the deciding factor), transfer activity (linked to finances), quality of tactics and coaching (also linked to finances), willingness to cheat on the park (what moral depths are we willing to dive too, pun intended). There are no doubt other categories, but most stem from finances imo. That leaves us with two choices. Firstly, do we show patience with our current board or dream about a fantasy no strings Investor. Second, do we want to see cheating become our norm. I can only speak/type for myself when I say I hate the accepted level of cheating in modern football. Ballboys (children) being coached to cheat is disgusting. I still believe that given the proper level of support Gio & his staff are the correct team to keep The Gers moving forward. WATP

1 hour ago, Bill said:

It might sound like it to you but it's actually completely different.

Application is about how well you apply the skills, resources and experience at your disposal to meet a specific challenge.

Your choice of "effort" implies only the devotion of more or less energy, which of course is meaningless unless you know whether your application is appropriate or competitive in the first place. There's little point trying harder if you're already doing the wrong thing, which it seems to me is what many fans are calling for. Try harder, make more effort, sweat more, run faster, run further ... all very commendable but little guarantee of making you more competitive against Napoli. We can have the team run around like blue-arsed demons but to compete in the CL we must first have players with the skills and intelligence to match our opponents. No amount of effort will change that and when the players you do have are so far below the calibre needed for the CL, it's hardly surprising when that realisation affects their "effort". That's all I'm saying.

You’re being a very pedantic person.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/effort