The Champions League has moved on; we haven’t

34 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

That’s not competing. That’s playing rugby. Send them off.

Neither Ajax player got sent off.

Our team are far too nice, even by modern standards.  Winning is far more important than making friends.  

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Our team are far too nice, even by modern standards.  Winning is far more important than making friends.  

I wouldnt say our players are too nice.  I would say they are naive.  A smart player, seeing an opponent breaking defence into attack, noticing an overload, would bring the player down and take a yellow ie taking one for the team.  Our players dont do that.  I dont think it is being too nice but it is a lack of footballing intelligence.

In fairness... the one time that someone in our team DID do it this season he got sent off for a yellow card offense and we dropped two points (Lundstram at Easter Road)

European football for us should be to earn as much as possible and if that means parking the bus in some games then so be it no one thought we would have beaten any of the three opponents but we never even won a point or a pound .

6 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Debatable. If a player has accepted a heavy loss, he's less likely to give it his all or use dirty tricks, I'd say.

So when you let a player run clear, instead of pulling his shirt (like two Ajax players did to us) or just taking him down, it makes no difference to the outcome?  Interesting way to look at it.

I've a feeling you're back to things like "effort" or "trying" or even "looking like you care". Perhaps what you're really on about is "trying to compete".

It's good that you've found something to indulge your criticism of the team as a whole or just certain individuals but I'm still at a loss to understand what those vague, misty-eyed concepts have to do with "competing".

It's simple, if you can't match the preparation, tactics, organisation, discipline, skills and application of your opponent then you cannot compete in any real sense of the word. We appear to be so far adrift in the requirements that would allow us to compete .... that we can't.

It's just where we are. It will get better.

38 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

By God, yes but I’d rather a defender breenged a forward up in the air than indulged in girly shirt tugging.

44 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

We need some of our olden days spirit of tackle hard FIRST.

I can see the attraction of re-creating the dinosaurs too but it's worth remembering this is a topic about who moves on and who gets left behind.