FIFA World Cup 2022

Overall, a better tournament football-wise than I had expected with, for once, a final that lived up to expectations.

The Rugby League World Cup was more interesting and exciting for the telly watcher. On average, the players demonstrated skill, strength, fitness and energy at levels higher than those of the footballers. The RL competition was also a better spectacle than the last RU World Cup.

19 hours ago, Malangsob said:

To quote a buddy of mine.

"I don't call it soccer, I call it what it is...flopping." 

Congratulations Argentina!

Mate, you lot call it "football" in a sport where they hardly ever use their feet to make contact with said ball.

19 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Gauchos beat the Frogs. Overall, well deserved but shouldn’t have needed penalties.

Two questions. Why did France not play for the first eighty minutes? Why did Argentina stop playing after the first seventy? 

For me the biggest mistake Argentina made was removing di Maria too early.  He had Kounde on strings the whole game.  Man against a boy.

The biggest mistake France made was letting di Maria run riot for an hour before really doing anything about it.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Overall, a better tournament football-wise than I had expected with, for once, a final that lived up to expectations.

The Rugby League World Cup was more interesting and exciting for the telly watcher. On average, the players demonstrated skill, strength, fitness and energy at levels higher than those of the footballers. The RL competition was also a better spectacle than the last RU World Cup.

Skill? They just run into each other, between pie breaks. It's even worse than the posh folks rugby.

Edited by Devil's advocaat

1 hour ago, craig said:

The biggest mistake France made was letting di Maria run riot for an hour before really doing anything about it

My exact thought on this Board at half time. He had yards of space in front of him for about forty minutes. His eye dummy before buying the penalty was worthy of Herr Doktor Mesmer himself.

4 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

My exact thought on this Board at half time. He had yards of space in front of him for about forty minutes. His eye dummy before buying the penalty was worthy of Herr Doktor Mesmer himself.

di Maria would have been worthy of Man of the Match had he lasted a full 90.  I also believe had he lasted a full 90 it wouldnt have went to extra time.  France just couldnt get in it, and Mbappe had to help Kounde out which negated his attacking threat.

I hear people banging on about the penalties and whether they should have been given or not.... and it is strange to me that the most blatant of all penalties isnt even spoken about.... at 0-0 from a corner, Giroud clearly has a 2 handed push in the back of the Argentinian... who then also gets pushed by Upamecano into Lloris.... I suspect the reason nothing was given was because Lloris was down for a while and they forgot about it, lol. 

If only some of our defenders could defend like that wee Argie left back and their centre half we might go somewhere but sadly it will be the same capers for the rest of the season .

Back to the final it was the best in my old eyes since 1970 and Messi was a joy to watch even if he is getting a bit long in the tooth.