The Rangers Brand - what does it stand for?

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I think throughout this topic there's been a willing escape into generalities, mostly poorly defined, rather than any useful indication of values or attributes that are specifically bound to the Rangers identity.

It's becoming hard to deny that, at least for many fans, there actually is no discernible Rangers brand identity .... or at best that it's confused and superficial. I find what might be described as an identity crisis to be very revealing at a fundamental level.

I'm surprised, I thought it would be a more productive exercise.

What we're you expecting to hear?

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Something a lot more thoughtful. Maybe those people have yet to contribute.

Like what? 

Why not share your thoughts rather than disparaging comments about those who have replied in good faith. 

Edited by CammyF

58 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Like what? 

Why not share your thoughts rather than disparaging comments about those who have replied in good faith. 

If only good faith guaranteed something useful.

Are you inviting me to tell you what to think?

Edited by Bill

To my mind, there is a distinction between a Rangers “brand” and what the club identity means to the fans.

“Brand values” are often set down by corporate boardrooms with a view to differentiate them from their competitors, and in so doing sell more of their product. These values then inform any marketing etc so that, so the board hope, the values become synonymous with the product. To that end, if there is a Rangers Brand, you would expect that it is set out by the Club, either stated or inferred.

If you were to ask people what words come to mind when you say “Rangers”, this should be in tune with the values the Club wish to project.  Setting aside the usual culprits,

Cammy made a good case for the Rangers Charity Foundation as the standard for the Brand values. These are set by the Club as how they would like us to be seen by others outside. If you were to ask people what words come to mind when you say “Rangers”, this should be in tune with the values the Club wish to project. If the values of the Foundation are not what springs to mind, the Club are not being successful in projecting these values to the outside world.

I believe what the club identity means to the fans is something different. It may be tradition, religion, success or many other things. John Mc set out many in his excellent post.

Bill’s original post was about how we are viewed by others and maybe that’s why he is disappointed that we have been unable to set out what our values are. We are often immersed in how we see Rangers and what they mean to us. It’s difficult to understand, dispassionately,  how  the wider population see us.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie Bear said:

It’s difficult to understand, dispassionately,  how  the wider population see us.

Opposition football fans generally don't like us (because we've been historically successful and because of the 'baggage' already mentioned) but the vast majority of Scots don't give Rangers a second thought.