The Rangers Brand - what does it stand for?

Great topic but can I throw this out there...is it necessary to do align a brand to a football team? We are obviously talking about Rangers here but can anyone actually define with any great clarity a "brand" associated with another football club. What is Celtic's brand? What is Liverpool's brand? And for that matter teams like Motherwell? It seems to me we are looking for answers to a question that cannot (and doesn't need to) be answered.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Great topic but can I throw this out there...is it necessary to do align a brand to a football team? We are obviously talking about Rangers here but can anyone actually define with any great clarity a "brand" associated with another football club. What is Celtic's brand? What is Liverpool's brand? And for that matter teams like Motherwell? It seems to me we are looking for answers to a question that cannot (and doesn't need to) be answered.

Looks like some modern football clubs to me. Just like any other.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Is that what you believe defines Rangers?

Ive been thinking about this but it’s hard to pin down, though I think it could be one element of it.

It does attempt to establish some values, that’s not the whole brand.  I think organisational culture, values and behaviours are related to this, and I’m similarly not sure if we could pin those down quickly. 

55 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Ive been thinking about this but it’s hard to pin down, though I think it could be one element of it.

It does attempt to establish some values, that’s not the whole brand.  I think organisational culture, values and behaviours are related to this, and I’m similarly not sure if we could pin those down quickly. 

Are there any football clubs that would not recite an equivalent message?

56 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Are there any football clubs that would not recite an equivalent message?

Probably not.  But it’s only one part of your brand.  And ultimately it’s about how we live up to these statements that is what will define an organisation.  

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

Probably not.  But it’s only one part of your brand.  And ultimately it’s about how we live up to these statements that is what will define an organisation.  

I think that the ubiquity of these 'values' makes them worthless as part of any individual club brand or identity.

3 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

I think that the ubiquity of these 'values' makes them worthless as part of any individual club brand or identity.

I think throughout this topic there's been a willing escape into generalities, mostly poorly defined, rather than any useful indication of values or attributes that are specifically bound to the Rangers identity.

It's becoming hard to deny that, at least for many fans, there actually is no discernible Rangers brand identity .... or at best that it's confused and superficial. I find what might be described as an identity crisis to be very revealing at a fundamental level.

I'm surprised, I thought it would be a more productive exercise.