The most controversial moment in World Cup history?

I think that in these circumstances the referee should be allowed to award a goal. Uruguay went on to win on penalties, totally undeserved victory. Ghana missed a chance to get to the semi-finals which may be a long time in coming again. Thankfully, this cheating was not rewarded when they got knocked out in the next round.

I remember vividly Maradona (the real GOAT) scoring at USA 94 v Greece i think and celebrating into the camera like a man possessed. My mum said at the time he looks like he is on drugs or something.

He was banned after a positive drugs test a few days later.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

On 23/11/2022 at 05:48, Rousseau said:

It was unsportsmanlike in the extreme, but with a minute to go, if he lets the ball go, Uruguay get knocked out, but by blocking it with his hands he gives his country a chance. 

Every single one of us, had it been a Rangers game and a Rangers player that did what Suarez did, would be lauding it, and rightly so.

If it was a Rangers game and a Rangers player and he let it go in, we would be screaming for him to never wear our jersey again, and rightly so.

Yes, definitely unsportsmanlike - but you do whatever you can to give your team the best chance of winning.  He did the right (but wrong....) thing

18 hours ago, craig said:

Every single one of us, had it been a Rangers game and a Rangers player that did what Suarez did, would be lauding it, and rightly so.

If it was a Rangers game and a Rangers player and he let it go in, we would be screaming for him to never wear our jersey again, and rightly so.

Yes, definitely unsportsmanlike - but you do whatever you can to give your team the best chance of winning.  He did the right (but wrong....) thing

I would not be lauding it. I'm not interested in winning like that. What's the point if you can't win properly?