The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Cantwell would be an exciting signing tbh. He's the type of player I tend I have a soft spot, with a particularly high technical ability. There's always a catch and I don't watch their games, but it seems he's struggling with end product and impacting games. However that kind of flair player is the type who can thrive in the type of games we have and who we haven't had enough of in recent years, and imo it's one of the reasons Celtic have been well ahead of us in chance creation.

37 minutes ago, CammyF said:

My opinion is that other players (like Weston) have stood out at that level and struggled at places like Partick Thistle. 

I watched Lowry against Bo'ness last season and he was worst player on the pitch (no exaggeration) but a few weeks later, he played very well against Celtic B at Ibrox (wasn't the standout but had a good game).

The manager has already stated he believes Lowry will have a great Rangers career (mentions him again this weeks press conference) but that'll be more reliant on Lowry than MB or however the manager is.

It's a fair and reasonble point of view Cammy, I just don't like seeing more avenues to the first team close for our own young promising players like Lowry. Hagi & Lawrence will both be fit soon (hopefully) and that makes it even less likely that Lowry will get a good run of games needed to make the jump up to a first team starter. 

I wonder if any manager now or in future the will feel at liberty to give a youngster a chance like Advocaat done with Barry Ferguson. Not just a few games, but a true run at it. Specially as we don't have such a strong team of pros to help a young guy learn now.

1 minute ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

It's a fair and reasonble point of view Cammy, I just don't like seeing more avenues to the first team close for our own young promising players like Lowry. Hagi & Lawrence will both be fit soon (hopefully) and that makes it even less likely that Lowry will get a good run of games needed to make the jump up to a first team starter. 

I wonder if any manager now or in future the will feel at liberty to give a youngster a chance like Advocaat done with Barry Ferguson. Not just a few games, but a true run at it. Specially as we don't have such a strong team of pros to help a young guy learn now.

What we as a support need to realise is that the Academy is set up to develop players who'll well sell. 

Patterson was sold for circa £16M after playing a handful of games for us. 

Bassey was sold for circa £20M after a good run of games, especially in Europe but let's remember his appearance in the team was out of necessity. 

What both those players had was a desire to develop, learn, train, knuckle down and play football at a high level. 

I don't doubt Lowery has the same ambition but does he have the same drive and determination? If he does, he'll get game time and get his rewards.

For what it's worth, the little I've heard from young Devine tells he has the drive and determination and has all the ability. 

Only time will tell I suppose.

21 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I don't doubt Lowery has the same ambition but does he have the same drive and determination? If he does, he'll get game time and get his rewards.

Patterson and even moreso, Bassey were forces of nature that drove down their respective wings and delivered.

Physique and power are very important in todays game and I think help give Tillman the advantage over Lowry, as it stands.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Patterson and even moreso, Bassey were forces of nature that drove down their respective wings and delivered.

Physique and power are very important in todays game and I think help give Tillman the advantage over Lowry, as it stands.

Agreed. Tillman looks like a man, Lowry is getting there! both are huge potential

Discussion from August 2021 regarding Aston Villa contemplating a bid for Cantwell. Hopefully if we can secure his signature, he can regain the form that led to him being valued at £40M.....