When I Left Rangers, I Was Heartbroken - Leon Balogun

Truth be told, even though he had his injury problems too, I couldn't understand Gio's decision to let him go. Helander and Souttar were even more unreliable in the here and now, and Goldson was essentially gone. On hindsight, giving the latter a new deal (and 4 years at that) was even stranger.

We had too many central defenders, we had to free up wages etc, so it's another decision which makes sense if you don't then go and buy another CB with a bad injury record and keep the other one (Helander).

It's the same as the decision to renew McGregor - it doesn't seem to make much sense when you look at our overall squad. It also doesn't fit the narrative that we didn't back Gio - just these few decisions have tied-up a significant amount of wage budget without really maintaining the quality in the squad, let alone actually improving it.

Goalkeepers are notoriously hard to replace, this season should have been one where we brought in somebody new with McGregor to jump in if it wasn't working... This opportunity has now gone, hopefully we find a good replacement at the first time of asking come the summer

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

We needed Scottish players though and McGregor is also took a big pay cut to stay. Not to mention he is the best we have comfortably. 

I don't think he's the best goalkeeper we have anymore other than being the only one who has the ability to make those kinds of wonder saves that only the very top GKs can. We're at the point where his cons far outweighs his pros.

I think McLaughlin is a much better all round keeper and probably has been for 2 seasons. He also fits our style of play much better and apart from that absolute horror show at Parkhead, I don't know why he isn't. Or why we're not giving McCrorie a chance - he's at that age where if he's not good enough to be our number one, he should be out the door.

16 minutes ago, ascender said:

I don't think he's the best goalkeeper we have anymore other than being the only one who has the ability to make those kinds of wonder saves that only the very top GKs can. We're at the point where his cons far outweighs his pros.

I think McLaughlin is a much better all round keeper and probably has been for 2 seasons. He also fits our style of play much better and apart from that absolute horror show at Parkhead, I don't know why he isn't. Or why we're not giving McCrorie a chance - he's at that age where if he's not good enough to be our number one, he should be out the door.

Are you basing that on their respective performances this season?