Safe Standing, again! | Club1872

10 hours ago, CammyF said:

As for their banner today - Beale made the wrong decision last week, he'll need to live with that and don't think he'll lose any sleep over the banner. If he does, he's in the wrong job, and the UB have the right to express their views as much as you or I. 

Rangers fans (Ultras or otherwise)  have always liked to have a go at board, managers and players, so MB is in some fine company in that regard.

I wasn't in favour of Beale's decision last week but having a public go at the manager the week before an OF cup final is less than helpful. 

5 hours ago, Bluedell said:

If people are going to stand in BF whether we have safe standing or not then surely it would be better to introduce it, assuming the finances are there? 

No problem - as long as they pay for it themselves. 

I come from a generation that didn't need different group identities to think of themselves as Rangers fans, so perhaps I've less tolerance of needy people who have to have special considerations like safe standing. 

23 hours ago, CammyF said:

It's all about opinions but I think we as a club need to have a sensible debate into safe standing if a sizeable amount off our fans would like to see an area (or areas) reserved for standing. 

As a member of TBO I know what issues "fan groups" encounter from club and other fans. You can't please everyone the time so some of the songs, banners, displays will attract criticism.

The Union Bears are an ultras group and ultra groups do what ultras do.

What are these special fans groups and how many of them routinely turn up at Ibrox?

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

No issue with the concept, each to their own if there’s demand for it. But for me it’s not a priority till we complete the disabled facility upgrades.  

...... and revamp the ticketing service

20 hours ago, Bill said:

No problem - as long as they pay for it themselves. 

I come from a generation that didn't need different group identities to think of themselves as Rangers fans, so perhaps I've less tolerance of needy people who have to have special considerations like safe standing. 

It's not something I've got much of an interest in but I don't see a problem in adding a supplement to the season tickets for those who want to stand for a few years to help contribute towards it. 

However, the UBs, as one of the main people wanting safe standing, don't do much to get the club on board, with the many UEFA fines, and the other stuff that goes on. 

The question of safe standing is three fold.

1) Financial: it will cost several million to make the changes and, as others have said, perhaps there are more deserving projects.

2) Logistical: forcing hundreds/thousands of fans to move to accommodate others won't be easy with a waiting list of many more thousands.

3) Political: most fans appreciate the efforts the Union Bears/Broomloan Collective go to improve the atmosphere but it's fair to say they operate right on the edge between civil disobedience and criminality. It's much easier for Rangers and the police to control a few hundred mischief-makers than it is a few thousand.

In a general sense, I'd love to see a Broomloan or Copland Stand with up to 10,000 vocal standing fans but the chances of that happening any time soon are next to zero.

When we say "safe standing" we come from the viewpoint of "safe sitters" and eulogise about the freedom and "atmosphere that standing would bring.

However, some of us remember standing on those long ago terraces, even before segregation of crowds was introduced, and it was far from jolly or comfortable, or even remotely civilised. "Safe seating" was brought in for very good reasons and the effect has been positive and welcome. Given the identity of the groups involved, I've little doubt some of the less savoury aspects of football crowds would return and the club would inevitably suffer.

Modern safe standing is clearly different from the old days but I've a feeling the motives of those pursuing it haven't changed much at all. We can live without it and probably should.

Poll Result : Ibrox Safe Standing

Dear Contributor,

Club 1872 recently polled members on whether they support the introduction of safe standing at Ibrox Stadium. The results were as follows:

Yes - 83.85%
No - 16.15%

Guided by the wishes of our Contributors, the Club 1872 Board will now write to Rangers requesting an official update on the feasibility study the Rangers Executive Team carried out into safe standing prior to the Covid pandemic.

We will also immediately investigate how Club 1872 could assist in funding safe standing being introduced to Ibrox. Club 1872 has substantial funds available and would be willing to discuss providing these on the same basis as other major investors in RIFC, particularly for capital expenditure which prioritises the wishes of our Contributors and the wider support.

Club 1872