Safe Standing, again! | Club1872

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Nailed it @Bill on both posts. It seems everything UB do is in relation to GB. They clearly admire their work. I’m totally against safe standing at Ibrox, they already stand throughout the game anyway, this just seems a way to be able to hide from cctv, I don’t see it brings anything positive to proceedings for a massive cost when we have so many areas needing this investment, like better facilities for our disabled fans for starters.

Do you know any UBs? Why would they want to copy GB? 

UB (and The Blue Order) displays are far more impressive than GB and been doing them for longer than GB.

Union Bears have their faults but Ibrox (and away games) would be poorer without them.

Edited by CammyF

8 minutes ago, CammyF said:

UB (and The Blue Order) displays are far more impressive than GB and been doing them for longer than GB.

Indeed.

The UB displays tend to celebrate our club, whereas the unwashed, plastic Oirish scummy GB displays tend to focus on oppression, vicTimhood and Tories.

Have to disagree with some responses there. As a supporter who goes to games to watch and support the team, and having had the misfortune of being in and around theUB at several away games over last few years, it is safe to say I’m not a fan. From close quarters many of them spend the match watching what others in the UB are doing rather than what’s happening on the pitch, and the big flags being constantly waved do nothing but block fellow fans view of the game.

I also do not support the view that they are responsible for creating the atmosphere at Ibrox. Good performances on the pitch create good atmosphere in the stands. Always have done, always will do. The constant banging of the drum doesn’t turn a dull match into a good one. 

Then there are the fines the club has received from UEFA purely from the self-serving look at us actions from them with their flares and other nonsense. Why would the club endorse a fan group that takes money directly out of the club?

2 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Have to disagree with some responses there. As a supporter who goes to games to watch and support the team, and having had the misfortune of being in and around theUB at several away games over last few years, it is safe to say I’m not a fan. From close quarters many of them spend the match watching what others in the UB are doing rather than what’s happening on the pitch, and the big flags being constantly waved do nothing but block fellow fans view of the game.

I also do not support the view that they are responsible for creating the atmosphere at Ibrox. Good performances on the pitch create good atmosphere in the stands. Always have done, always will do. The constant banging of the drum doesn’t turn a dull match into a good one. 

Then there are the fines the club has received from UEFA purely from the self-serving look at us actions from them with their flares and other nonsense. Why would the club endorse a fan group that takes money directly out of the club?

It's all about opinions but I think we as a club need to have a sensible debate into safe standing if a sizeable amount off our fans would like to see an area (or areas) reserved for standing. 

As a member of TBO I know what issues "fan groups" encounter from club and other fans. You can't please everyone the time so some of the songs, banners, displays will attract criticism.

The Union Bears are an ultras group and ultra groups do what ultras do.

6 hours ago, CammyF said:

The Union Bears are an ultras group and ultra groups do what ultras do.

Ultras groups are generally just the modern name for hooligans, and have no place in the game. After their ridiculous banner today having a public go at our manager the week before an OF final their popularity continues to decline amongst match-going bears.

6 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Ultras groups are generally just the modern name for hooligans, and have no place in the game. After their ridiculous banner today having a public go at our manager the week before an OF final their popularity continues to decline amongst match-going bears.

But there have always been "hooligans" in the game, and Rangers fans have never been "shrinking violets". Just ask the residents of Birmingham, Manchester, Chesterfield........

As for their banner today - Beale made the wrong decision last week, he'll need to live with that and don't think he'll lose any sleep over the banner. If he does, he's in the wrong job, and the UB have the right to express their views as much as you or I. 

Rangers fans (Ultras or otherwise)  have always liked to have a go at board, managers and players, so MB is in some fine company in that regard.

Whilst the UB are no angels, I've not witnessed them causing any trouble at Rangers games, well apart from a half-hearted rush at Liverpool fans, and what they do away from the game is their business.

10 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Ultras groups are generally just the modern name for hooligans, and have no place in the game.

Not really.  Most Ultras groups aren't involved in hooliganism.  They're involved in ultra-fanatical support of their team - 100% match attendance, displays, pyro, stickers, uniforms, initiating songs and choreography etc.  

There are aspects of it I find less than appealing (the more monotone chants and that f*cking drum, for starters) but it's a big thing throughout the footballing world and isn't going away anytime soon.  

Aye those were the day’s standing in a tightly packed terrace with the bloke next to you standing with his knob in a cut beer can whilst some half cut twat slumped behind you burning a hole in your coat