[FT] Rangers 1 (Morelos 64) - 2 Celtic

10 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think covid and the subsequent financial losses due to it led to this. Gerrards talk at the time was that of someone who expected financial backing.

As did Wilson who said any money raised would go straight into the squad. 

We also had Robertson champion the need for CL money, then play it down when asked why it wasn't being used to strengthen the squad. 

Too many "mixed" messages then complete radio silence from the board. 

7 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

The exact same approach that the board takes every year.

Why do some find this difficult to understand?

But it's an approach / gamble that we lose more often than we win. 

And when we do get to CL, we are blown away by far superior teams (with very rare but welcome exceptions). 

6 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I think too many of us overlook the role the DoF has ( or hasn’t played) lately. 
 was this role not created to stop some of the things we’re now seeing mostly in squad recruitment & retention ?

Yes, but our DoF can point to circa £40M reasons as to why he's been a success (Parerson, Bassey and Aribo). I'm not saying he has been a success by the way.

Also, his boss told us all at the AGM that he is doing a great job and this is the strongest Rangers squad in over a decade. 

19 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

All of this talk about an insurmountable gulf between us and them is a load of rubbish.

They are better just now and there has been no debate for a little bit over a year.

But we lost a cup match by a single goal at the weekend.  In addition to that there are a couple of blatant errors from the management that may not happen in future.  Mistakes in team selection are really easy to correct in future.  Especially when you compare them to the problems that we have in terms of personnel.  I mean you can't teach a fellow like Morelos to be the type of player that we need.  He just doesn't get it and all we can do is wait for him to move on.   I would bet against restoring Kamara.  He appears to have lost interest altogether and we need to find a buyer as soon as possible.

It's not rubbish - we are 9 points adrift in the league, they have beaten us in a cup final and you wouldn't bet on us winning the Scottish Cup (unless someone else knocks them out).

They have better players than we do, the have a system they know and trust (and domestically it works, nobody can lay a glove on them), they have a board who continually back the manager.. Most importantly they control the media and the "narrative". 

I would like nothing more than knowing / believing that we are close to them, but everything points to that not being the case. 

I hope your assessment of the situation is correct and mines is wrong, but I wouldn't gamble much money on that being the case. 

Edited by CammyF

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

But it's an approach / gamble that we lose more often than we win. 

No. It is not.

Since Gerrard arrived we have only failed to qualify for one group stage.

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

And when we do get to CL, we are blown away by far superior teams (with very rare but welcome exceptions). 

So what?

4 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

No. It is not.

Since Gerrard arrived we have only failed to qualify for one group stage.

So what?

So it's only SG who has ever gotten us to the CL qualifiers? Outwith 2 CL campaigns, the inaugural CL and AMc getting us out through groups, we've been a failure in the CL - qualifiers and groups. 

So what? Well I'm not gonna answer this. 

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

As did Wilson who said any money raised would go straight into the squad. 

We also had Robertson champion the need for CL money, then play it down when asked why it wasn't being used to strengthen the squad. 

Too many "mixed" messages then complete radio silence from the board. 

Agree, Wilson specifically had never been brought to task over those comments. It grated me particularly after the Jan we sold Patterson and got money for Gerrard and co and then 3 loans were brought in.

18 minutes ago, CammyF said:

So it's only SG who has ever gotten us to the CL qualifiers? Outwith 2 CL campaigns, the inaugural CL and AMc getting us out through groups, we've been a failure in the CL - qualifiers and groups. 

Irrelevant.

We are talking about the board from 2015 onwards.

Think again.

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

It's not rubbish - we are 9 points adrift in the league, they have beaten us in a cup final and you wouldn't bet on us winning the Scottish Cup (unless someone else knocks them out).

They have better players than we do, the have a system they know and trust (and domestically it works, nobody can lay a glove on them), they have a board who continually back the manager.. Most importantly they control the media and the "narrative". 

I would like nothing more than knowing / believing that we are close to them, but everything points to that not being the case. 

I hope your assessment of the situation is correct and mines is wrong, but I wouldn't gamble much money on that being the case. 

Nothing that you have said supports the claim that there is an insurmountable gap between the two teams.

Why don't you try that?

Alternatively just admit that it is a load of rubbish.

Just now, ranger_syntax said:

Irrelevant.

We are talking about the board from 2015 onwards.

Think again.

Not irrelevant - I want Rangers to be CL regulars, playing and competing with the best teams in Europe. I've wanted that since I started following Rangers in 1983 and I still want that now. 

This board are only responsible for us since 2015 and whilst I admit they have credit in the bank, over that time frame they have been more failure than success. 

Given they are the current custodians it's their duty to make us the best version we can be. In my opinion they are way off getting us there.