[FT] Rangers 1 (Morelos 64) - 2 Celtic

2 minutes ago, CammyF said:

When the do make mistakes (I.e Lennon coming back for 10), they act quickly, decisively and rectify the issue. 

They have more money than us, their player trading model is far better than ours, and from the outside / afar, their board act quicker than ours on all matters (helps when they have the media wrapped around their fingers).

Just look at their recent domestic record v ours, it's night and day. 

They have a little more money than us. Not sure their player trading model is that good.

they haven’t won a European knockout tie (post Christmas) for what? 20 years. They have lightning in a bottle with the Aussie and his wee Japanese pals. Not sure their current squad is worth that much nor is transferable to a different manager. 

Things change quickly in football. We need to do better with what we have sure but let’s not get too negative.

They are riding on the 2012 wave as much as we are still held back by it. 

Let’s give the manager backing in the summer and let Ross Wilson earn his corn by moving on the duds and the crocks.

Catching them this year was always a big ask. 

20 hours ago, Bill said:

I want to disagree to some extent. I don't believe they are asleep at the wheel. I think there are only two realistic possibilities....

1. The board does not know how to push on from 55 and is floundering for a solution.

2. The boards does have a coherent plan for success but it's based entirely on sound finances that will takes several years to establish and is limiting the pace at which we progress.

Personally, while I sometimes move between which of these options I chose to believe, I prefer to think the latter is true. We have owners who are painfully aware how close the club came to oblivion and are determined those risks will never be taken again. Some might call that chickenshit but perhaps time will prove otherwise. In any case, you pays your money and you takes your choice ... they stepped up when desperately needed and have bought the right to chose the business plan. This was always going to be a long game.

If they have a coherent plan, it would be nice for them to share it with us fans. At the AGM Park was asked what the plan was and said "to win as many trophies as possible" (or such like). 

So how does Park define "as many as possible"? One cup every year, a league title every ten years? A run in Europe once ever 2 decades? 

How do the board plan to achieve as many as possible? 

The time to invest was after securing 55. Celtic reacted to us winning 55, we didn't and we are paying for that now.

How long we pay for that is anyone's guess, but with no guidance or indication from the board on how the plan to address and bridge the gap, it looks like more pain and misery for a while. 

6 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

They have a little more money than us. Not sure their player trading model is that good.

they haven’t won a European knockout tie (post Christmas) for what? 20 years. They have lightning in a bottle with the Aussie and his wee Japanese pals. Not sure their current squad is worth that much nor is transferable to a different manager. 

Things change quickly in football. We need to do better with what we have sure but let’s not get too negative.

They are riding on the 2012 wave as much as we are still held back by it. 

Let’s give the manager backing in the summer and let Ross Wilson earn his corn by moving on the duds and the crocks.

Catching them this year was always a big ask. 

Sorry, I would swap our recent European record for their recent domestic record.

The next transfer window is huge and we must get it 100% correct. 

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

If they have a coherent plan, it would be nice for them to share it with us fans. At the AGM Park was asked what the plan was and said "to win as many trophies as possible" (or such like). 

So how does Park define "as many as possible"? One cup every year, a league title every ten years? A run in Europe once ever 2 decades? 

How do the board plan to achieve as many as possible? 

The time to invest was after securing 55. Celtic reacted to us winning 55, we didn't and we are paying for that now.

How long we pay for that is anyone's guess, but with no guidance or indication from the board on how the plan to address and bridge the gap, it looks like more pain and misery for a while. 

I agree with every point you make and I have no answers to the questions you ask. It just feels like the board is consumed with caution in the short term and is incapable of radical action. It's an approach that seems to be permeating the whole club. Perhaps the board simply lacks the confidence required to be bold. Whatever the case we are, as you allude to, stuck in a rut and refusing to make the decisive changes needed to boost the club forward. 

Just now, Bill said:

I agree with every point you make and I have no answers to the questions you ask. It just feels like the board is consumed with caution in the short term and is incapable of radical action. It's an approach that seems to be permeating the whole club. Perhaps the board simply lacks the confidence required to be bold. Whatever the case we are, as you allude to, stuck in a rut and refusing to make the decisive changes needed to boost the club forward. 

I wouldn't expect any fan to have the answers, that's why the board employ "best in class" in all "pillers" of the club. 

It's the hope that kills you and the silence that drives you insane 😀

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

It's the hope that kills you and the silence that drives you insane 😀

I find it's those moments when it dawns on you the hope you had was an illusion. I had that moment when I logged in on Sunday and saw Beale's team selection. So many others saw it too ... that we were in the hands of another manager who would never deliver.

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

Sorry, I would swap our recent European record for their recent domestic record.

The next transfer window is huge and we must get it 100% correct. 

So would I but they didn’t have 5 years in the lower divisions and parasites bleeding them dry for years.

Our board and football operations have made mistakes sure but we have also done some things well.

We might have only won one league title in a long time but it was the one they coveted most.

11 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

So would I but they didn’t have 5 years in the lower divisions and parasites bleeding them dry for years.

Our board and football operations have made mistakes sure but we have also done some things well.

We might have only won one league title in a long time but it was the one they coveted most.

I think the bottom line is lack of engagement and a clear plan that we can all see and whilst we may not all agree on it, I'm sure the vast majority would support it. 

This "win as many trophies as possible" but with bo apparent plan behind it is doomed to failure. 

We got a tantalising glimpse of how it should be when we won 55, got to EL final and sold Paterson, Bassey and Aribo for huge profits. 

Now we've stagnated (at best, maybe regressed is a more accurate description) and are falling behind our rival and it's hard to see how we bridge the gap. It's as if we are waiting on Celtic imploding again.

Our board may have a masterplan, they may have financial backers lined up, they may have a short, medium and long term business and football plan. Maybe they are just keeping it a secret.