[FT] Rangers 1 (Morelos 64) - 2 Celtic

28 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Apparently our summer signings have been unavailable for 43% of all our games this year. It makes sense, but I feel like we've been living with this injury situation for 20 years or longer now and it's only got worse over time. There has to be something fundamentally wrong at the club, surely? 

It seems we are no where near identifying the root cause of this issue. Soutter apart (who seen that coming eh). 

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think GvB and his staff were responsible for a large part of the injury problem (excluding the perma-crocks).  

Our fitness, too, was superb until GvB's methods started to take over. 

Perhaps, we also lost Dr Mark Waller in the summer who had a good reputation. Not sure we replaced him. The loss of that holistic top down medical strategist role certainly wouldn't help. I remember he was credited with our approach during COVID and why we had minimal positive cases during 55.

15 hours ago, CammyF said:

7 of our players who started yesterday also started the 2019 League Cup Final defeat - only 1  Celtic player started both. 

Back in the day, my local ice-hockey team ruled the roost, snatching 7 out of 9 league titles from 2005 till 2013, including a nice streak from 2011 to 2013. During the last stages of that era, they handed their stalwarts long contracts (which is rare in ice-hockey, where deals usually last a season or two, with options). What happened was that these players couldn't keep up with the demands, and it followed a long dire spell up until 2021, when the next title was one (and followed up in 2022). There were some highs in the 2018 and 2019 season, but ultimately, those long contracts cost the club dearly. There are no transfer fees involved in ice-hockey, so who pays the highest wages, offers a route to success, glory, fame and thus to the NHL / Russian League (and really good money). You simply can't pay people off (unless you have that much money) or send them packing. 

When you go back through the years, not only did we sign enough players not fit for the tasks required, but also handed out long contracts to people who simply aren't good enough on a consistent basis. And as we have seen, even in the days when e.g. a Kamara was shining, no-one happened by to snatch him up. Same with Morelos. Same with Tavernier, or Kent. Going what dross the Scum sold to the EPL for scandalous money, you do wonder why no-one showed up with real interest in our superstars? You would expect that the lower half of the EPL and upper half of the Championship would walk over glass to sign someone of the caliber of Kent, whose talents are wasted in Scotland, but who could well run amok in England. Or maybe, just maybe, those idiots down there are wise enough not to perceive his and other Gers "stars'" qualities through our blue glasses?

No matter the failures of managers past, the present is what matters. So far, MB has lost but one game in his time at Ibrox, yet, it was the second most vital game in his stay here - a cup final at that. And we have seen hardly anything that shows us that the future looks in any way different than what we saw beforehand. We paper over wrong tactics with better players, instead of utilizing our squad and change the way we play. You can clearly see that the old hands can't get out of their old habits or keep up with their own high standards, while the new hands are shifted about the field to accommodate this or that player. Hence, there is no cohesion in midfield and amongst the attackers. It's been obvious for weeks now. Yet, we toil on with it ...

For some mysterious reason our Hall of Fame fullback and captain is contracted until 2026 so I understand it's difficult financially to get rid of him - but for God's sake can we please stop playing him in a defensive role that he has NEVER been any use at. Our other fullback I would sell at the first opportunity. We constantly play with half a back four.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

For some mysterious reason our Hall of Fame fullback and captain is contracted until 2026 so I understand it's difficult financially to get rid of him - but for God's sake can we please stop playing him in a defensive role that he has NEVER been any use at. Our other fullback I would sell at the first opportunity. We constantly play with half a back four.

I think we hastily extended him after his Europa league exploits in the belief another team would come in and we could sell him on for a bigger fee.

Every time Celtic play us they attack down our right and simultaneously attack a weak spot and supress one of our most potent attacking options. Almost like some kind of effective tactical game plan.

I’ve said it before the football served up by our lads is dire all this sideways shuffling and back passing then our left or right fullback launches a long diagonal ball its just a load of pish won’t ever win anything playing football like this never 

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think we hastily extended him after his Europa league exploits in the belief another team would come in and we could sell him on for a bigger fee.

Every time Celtic play us they attack down our right and simultaneously attack a weak spot and supress one of our most potent attacking options. Almost like some kind of effective tactical game plan.

Tavernier is a complete liability in defence. If we have to play him then make it further forward where he can do less damage.

Yet more worthless apologies for yet another weak-kneed capitulation in a cup final and it will be the same story next time too.

Are we looking at serial losers? Do we need the biggest clearout in years?