Excellent Article

Yeah, Cardiff Bhoy is an example of what the author is talking about - someone so wrapped up in his own bigoted life that he doesn't realise he is a bigot.

Cammy F

there are quite a few in there from both sides with the same problem cammy. Sad really.

I disagree. This is another predictably poor article.

The charge against Smith is not one of bigotry; it is one of a lack of impartiality. He is therefore (like you and I) unfit to hold the position of CEO of the SFA.

Putting that to ths side, his arguement is also fundamentally wrong. Very few, if anyone, is questioning Rangers' right to celebrate their Irish protestant traditions. It is Rangers' anti-catholic traditions that have been questioned.

For a better article try this from your nemesis:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article2648729.ece

I don't agree with everything in the first half, but at long last a Scottish sports journalist has had the balls to destroy the fallacy of 'one side is as bad as the other'.

The charge against Smith is not one of bigotry; it is one of a lack of impartiality. He is therefore (like you and I) unfit to hold the position of CEO of the SFA.

Putting that to ths side, his arguement is also fundamentally wrong. Very few, if anyone, is questioning Rangers' right to celebrate their Irish protestant traditions. It is Rangers' anti-catholic traditions that have been questioned.

I don't agree with everything in the first half, but at long last a Scottish sports journalist has had the balls to destroy the fallacy of 'one side is as bad as the other'.

Bullshit BC - the charge against Smith, by the likes of Shooo Keevins is that he is guilty of sectarianism by 'association'. GS was brave enough, in print to talk about sectarianism in a book - this was printed and published before he was elected to his position at the SFA. What GS is being attacked over is the fact that he dared question the role of single-faith schools and if they should be present in modern day Scotland. I always find it funny that those of us who advocate inclusiveness are regarding as bigots and those who prefer exclusiveness in schooling are the 'non-bigots'.

BC, there has been one arrest and one arrest only this season at Scottish Football for sectarianism - care to guess what team the bigot supports?

BC, your chairman has seen fit to chair 'secert meetings' between supporters groups to drown out sectarian, political and offensive songs at home and away games. Why would he do this if his, and your club, didn't have a problem - like he, the media and the MOPES keep telling us they don't?

What anti-catholic agenda at Ibrox? We have had many celebrated Catholic players (we signed our first Catholic before Celtc were fromed), we have had a celebrated Catholic captian and a catholic manager (as well as board memebers, employees etc). It is worth remembering that of the 2 'big' Glasgow clubs one was formed by 4 teenagers for the pure love of the game, the over, well - if you know your history and all that......

Cammy F

Cammy - I'm rather proud of the fact that I avoid the Radio Clyde phone in like the plague - it's utterly execrable. If Keevins did say that then he was wrong, but he does not represent any of the Celtic supporters I know. Never has and never will, about this or anything else. He's just another appalling sports 'journalist'.

For what it's worth, as an atheist I don't agree with catholic schools either. It has to be said, however, that catholic schools exist in numerous other countries and do not cause division anywhere other than in Scotland. My conclusion, therefore, is that while they me be part of a solution, they are not the cause of the problem. I would not have objected to Smith's comments about catholic schools if it had been part of an evenhanded discussion he claims he is looking for.

I'm not going to bother responding to your single arrest arguement - even with your blinkers on you must realise you're pissing in the wind.

When did Brian Quinn claim there was no bigotry or offensive songs at Celtic Park? All that has been claimed is that we are not equal partners in this problem, and are totally sick of most of the media and the CEO of the SFA pretending that we are.

What anti-catholic agenda at Ibrox? To borrow one of your favourite lines, you couldn't make it up....

I would potentially give your post some credibility but anyone who thinks Gordon Smith is anything other than a stand up, honest individual has their blinkers on.

Utter tosh to suggest he is not impartial - he is a well educated man who will deal with his position as CEO in the manner it deserves and without prejudice, I have no doubts about that at all.

To suggest otherwise smacks of paranoia.