26 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

Overlapping fullbacks are not really a modern football thing and have been around for a long time. Cafu (retired 15 years ago),
Gianluca Zambrotta (retired 11 years ago), Javier Zanetti (retired 9 years ago) Providing cover for their runs should be a minor matter for coaches by now. 

I agree with your point, but I would argue they are dated. 

23 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

Overlapping fullbacks are not really a modern football thing and have been around for a long time. Cafu (retired 15 years ago),
Gianluca Zambrotta (retired 11 years ago), Javier Zanetti (retired 9 years ago) Providing cover for their runs should be a minor matter for coaches by now. 

Might I mention Tommy Gemmell?

ok, I’ll take the ban. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

It can be that simple, but often managers tweak their team's structure to compensate. 

Klopp uses counter-pressing, so when they lose the ball they are set up to get the ball back ASAP so they don't get caught. 

Pep dropped the #6 between the CBs to cover with Barcelona. Now he inverts one FB and keeps the other back to make a situational back-three. 

Gerrard used three sitting midfielders - something Klopp does, or did, too. 

There are a lot of solutions. 

Not with our squad there aren't

45 minutes ago, Bill said:

Not with our squad there aren't

I get your point, but SG had a solution (three sitting midfielders) with these exact players. We conceded as few as 13 goals in one season. 

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I get your point, but SG had a solution (three sitting midfielders) with these exact players. We conceded as few as 13 goals in one season. 

Surely not the exact same players and anyway players are not constant commodities - there was a time when Kamara was sublime and Kent scored goals and Morelos was unplayable.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Surely not the exact same players and anyway players are not constant commodities - there was a time when Kamara was sublime and Kent scored goals and Morelos was unplayable.

It was a sitting midfield three of Kamara, Davis and Jack, who are all still here. (Aribo sometimes played there, but mainly further forward.) 

It doesn't matter who the players are, though. If you're depending on a player in form to be a solution, it's not a proper solution.

The solution for SG was using a sitting midfield three; the players were mostly irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Kamara, Davis and Jack, who are all still here

Davis here in spirit but not in whole body.

Kamara here in body but not in spirit.

Jack’s doing fine.

A question: why compromise the midfield to accommodate an attacker with a nominal position in defence?

2 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

A question: why compromise the midfield to accommodate an attacker with a nominal position in defence?

Why did Klopp use a sitting midfield three to accommodate Robertson and Alexander-Arnold?

As soon as he adds more attacking midfielders, more attackers it all falls apart.