2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

It's because modern managers want their full backs to add a lot to the team by attacking. Tactically they don't want someone who can mainly defend and isn't prone to attacking.

Yes, I get that. Fine if you’ve got the man who can do it namely a defender who can attack. John Brown and Davy Robertson could do it. Neither as good as Tav going forward but both much better defenders.

@Rousseau has clarified this above. I think.

37 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Yes, I get that. Fine if you’ve got the man who can do it namely a defender who can attack. John Brown and Davy Robertson could do it. Neither as good as Tav going forward but both much better defenders.

Davie Robertson is a good example of what we need at fullback instead of the current lightweights.

45 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Buy defenders that can defend? 3 of our first choice 4 defenders cant defend (Tav, Borna, Davies). 

The old adage seems to apply - get your defence solid, then build forward from there. We haven't had a solid defence in a long time.

Hopefully I Interpreted what Rousseau was stated correctly.

It appears that one of the weaknesses of this non-traditional, 'fullback as a winger' system is the increased movement forward of those fullbacks. 

This movement out of their defensive position would seem to put a greater stress on the CB's to compensate.

Which kinda explains a more mobile player like Davies...kinda. 

I think people are looking past our weakness there, and placing a lot of the blame on Tav.

The man isn't The Flash, he can't be both places at the same time. 

I would honestly like to a see a Rangers squad where Tav is supported by TWO...not Goldson, and some adequate partner...TWO quality CB's.

What was our record when a fully fit Helander was on the pitch?

If Ever?

I would not be surprised if our first big signing in the off season would be a +4M CB.

Besides, Goldson is starting to show the wear. 

57 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Hopefully I Interpreted what Rousseau was stated correctly.

It appears that one of the weaknesses of this non-traditional, 'fullback as a winger' system is the increased movement forward of those fullbacks. 

This movement out of their defensive position would seem to put a greater stress on the CB's to compensate.

Which kinda explains a more mobile player like Davies...kinda. 

I think people are looking past our weakness there, and placing a lot of the blame on Tav.

The man isn't The Flash, he can't be both places at the same time. 

I would honestly like to a see a Rangers squad where Tav is supported by TWO...not Goldson, and some adequate partner...TWO quality CB's.

What was our record when a fully fit Helander was on the pitch?

If Ever?

I would not be surprised if our first big signing in the off season would be a +4M CB.

Besides, Goldson is starting to show the wear. 

You can have the best centre backs in the world but that won't cover for a missing fullback or stop a cross into our goal mouth. Perhaps the most characteristic weakness is continually conceding at the back post - how many times have you seen us lose a goal to an unmarked attacker meeting a deep cross and our fullback isn't even in the picture? By all means get forward but if you're not there when there's defending to be done then you're not a defender. It may be simplistic but it seems obvious to me.

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

@Bill: You can have the best centre backs in the world but that won't cover for a missing fullback or stop a cross into our goal mouth. Perhaps the most characteristic weakness is continually conceding at the back post - how many times have you seen us lose a goal to an unmarked attacker meeting a deep cross and our fullback isn't even in the picture? By all means get forward but if you're not there when there's defending to be done then you're not a defender. It may be simplistic but it seems obvious to me.

It can be that simple, but often managers tweak their team's structure to compensate. 

Klopp uses counter-pressing, so when they lose the ball they are set up to get the ball back ASAP so they don't get caught. 

Pep dropped the #6 between the CBs to cover with Barcelona. Now he inverts one FB and keeps the other back to make a situational back-three. 

Gerrard used three sitting midfielders - something Klopp does, or did, too. 

There are a lot of solutions. 

Overlapping fullbacks are not really a modern football thing and have been around for a long time. Cafu (retired 15 years ago),
Gianluca Zambrotta (retired 11 years ago), Javier Zanetti (retired 9 years ago) Providing cover for their runs should be a minor matter for coaches by now. 

All these systems bamboozle me good football is when the ball is passed forward playing one two’s with a team maté running into space draw the defender out of position, watching our lads is like that country dancing at school to the side on two to the other side one two and back then a long diagonal punt up the park usually mopped up by a defender.

18 minutes ago, compo said:

All these systems bamboozle me good football is when the ball is passed forward playing one two’s with a team maté running into space draw the defender out of position, watching our lads is like that country dancing at school to the side on two to the other side one two and back then a long diagonal punt up the park usually mopped up by a defender.

The game's professional now, though.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet