MB on two new signings

5 hours ago, DMAA said:

I still think we should sign Tillman. He’s scored as many from midfield, at the age of 20 and in his first ever season of senior football, as Morelos this season. With better players around him he’d be the first Rangers midfielder to score 20 a season at this level since Barry and de Boer. 

I think we should too. The question is, can we? This team has a lot of holes needing filled. GK, CB, ST, AM...for starters. We have a bunch leaving but an equal amount who just do not cut it. Honestly, Tillman at his price point, given our prospective budget, would be a luxury. I know that kid is going to be amazing too. Young and showing all of the signs. Gio and Wilson did a number on this club. It is what it is though. 

12 hours ago, CammyF said:

IMG-20230425-WA0007.jpg

Butland--on a free--Ok why not

Dowell--no way--injury prone--I remember this kid at Everton--loaned out constantly--no impact--even at Wigan--no friggin thanks.

Murillo--30--CF--no thanks--320 matches between La Liga and Serie A--14 goals (most before 2018)--complete imposter...plus starting to show signs of soft tissue wear--nope...Hell naw!

Kouame--25--Serie A/Belgian Jupiler (good beer) experience--Seems to have a decent pedigree. Put up some very decent numbers at Anderlecht. Definite go on him. 

Willock-25-MB knows him-Arsenal system product--no injury history-6 goals 2 assists on 26 appearance for QPR-decent in the air--on a free? Oh yeah.

Pretty decent haul--Dowell and Murillo are a definite no though.

Edited by Malangsob

18 hours ago, der Berliner said:

It's his first full season as a professional footballer in a top team environment ... with ever changing roles and players near him. If I had a say, I'd play Matondo on the left, Tillman and Raskin through the middle, and Sakala on the right. Colak and Morelos up top, Davies, Goldson, and Souttar in defence, with Jack the DM.

Matondo, to be respectful, just isnt good enough to secure a starting berth.  He could become good enough, but he just inst ready yet.  is control is worse than mine !

1 hour ago, craig said:

Matondo, to be respectful, just isnt good enough to secure a starting berth.  He could become good enough, but he just inst ready yet.  is control is worse than mine !

I would assume that playing 32 games for Schalke in Germany's Bundesliga et al, and 27 more games in the top league in Belgium at Cercle Brugges, by the age of 21, shows that some football brains rate him. Likewise, he wouldn't end up with ManCity's u21s either. He hardly had a good run in the team or a decent start either (23 games with an average of 38 mins per game) ... yet for some reason people want every player to have an instant impact in a totally alien (by football standards) environment. Some do, others don't. IIRC, NIAR hero Hateley took almost a season before he came truly good alongside McCoist and/or MoJo. MB indicated that he will be here next season, so why not give him a run now. Probably not against the Scum, though. 

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

I would assume that playing 32 games for Schalke in Germany's Bundesliga et al, and 27 more games in the top league in Belgium at Cercle Brugges, by the age of 21, shows that some football brains rate him. Likewise, he wouldn't end up with ManCity's u21s either. He hardly had a good run in the team or a decent start either (23 games with an average of 38 mins per game) ... yet for some reason people want every player to have an instant impact in a totally alien (by football standards) environment. Some do, others don't. IIRC, NIAR hero Hateley took almost a season before he came truly good alongside McCoist and/or MoJo. MB indicated that he will be here next season, so why not give him a run now. Probably not against the Scum, though. 

Oh, I would give him game time so he can either prove himself or not... but from everything I have seen in a Rangers shirt he isnt good enough.  Playing for Schalke or playing for Cercle is almost irrelevant - different leagues, different styles.  For example, Schalke werent great when he was with them, so many of their opponents attacked them - he doesnt get that with us - his greatest asset is his pace - and playing against a "park the bus" team every week won't suit him well - IMHO of course.... - so those teams are irrelevant.  When you sign a player it is the person you are signing, not the appearances they have had elsewhere....

I am not asking for an immediate impact, not at all.  But I watch his technique and his touch and I can categorically say (yes, I am biased but still....) that my 18 yr old son who is playing semi professionally, has a better first touch than Matondo.  Absolutely zero doubt.  That said, we NEED to give him a chance because if we dont, we wont get a fraction of what we spent on him back.  I base my obersvations on Matondo on what I see, not that I need to see him have an immediate impact.  There may very well be a footballer in there, but I havent seen it in his touch - admittedly we havent seen a whole lot of him.

But if we are hoping to win the league next year then I would contend that the best that Matondo should be for us is as an impact sub.  Besides, if Tom Lawrence is fit then he would be my choice to play the left side of the 3, unless Beale plans on playing him centrally.  Lawrence is a much better footballer than Matondo. 

3 hours ago, der Berliner said:

You can argue Matondo's case based on his previous record until the cows come home. All we can really do is use the evidence of our own eyes when he's worn a Rangers shirt and it's largely been a colossal disappointment. He could be a hall of fame hero at a dozen other clubs but if he can't show basic ball control or passing skills when playing for Rangers then he's wasting everyone's time and no small amount of money.

2 hours ago, craig said:

But if we are hoping to win the league next year then I would contend that the best that Matondo should be for us is as an impact sub.  Besides, if Tom Lawrence is fit then he would be my choice to play the left side of the 3, unless Beale plans on playing him centrally.  Lawrence is a much better footballer than Matondo. 

Indeed.