The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

18 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I’d doubt we’ll sign Van Veen. He’s 32 next month with no resale value 
Josh Maja who’s soon to be a Bosman & currently at Bordeaux would be a better option in my view. Only 24 & played in the EPL & championship 

I'd agree, we probably won't, but not every player has to fit 'the plan', its scottish football, sometimes we need someone a bit more game smart, cuter, and doesn't mind mixing it and leaving a boot in.

30 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I'd agree, we probably won't, but not every player has to fit 'the plan', its scottish football, sometimes we need someone a bit more game smart, cuter, and doesn't mind mixing it and leaving a boot in.

I've been dismissive of the van Veen stuff but remember Andreas Velicka helped us win a title with a handful of games and goals.

I always bang on when people complain about lack of youth players coming through that Mo Ross and Bob Malcolm have a fair few winners medals despite not being regarded as youth system 'successes'. Sometimes its about getting a balance right rather than just getting a load of players who as individuals stand out with certain criteria.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

19 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I’d doubt we’ll sign Van Veen. He’s 32 next month with no resale value 
Josh Maja who’s soon to be a Bosman & currently at Bordeaux would be a better option in my view. Only 24 & played in the EPL & championship 

van Veen wont require a fee or big wages. So doesn't really need to have a resale value. His profile would come in as a stop gap.

The Maja signing however would be a bosman but require a large sign on fee, an agent fee and a high wage over a longer term deal. He has also passed peak sale age (18-23 someone can look at the stats and correct me). 

Maja wouldnt be the player trading model win some think. He would purely be a come in and get a few good years then punt like Aribo.

I think with the level of squad turnover we are expecting this summer, its likely that some of our signings will be in the "horses for courses" bracket.  Hopefully just a small proportion, with minimal risk in terms of fees/wages.

17 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

van Veen wont require a fee or big wages. So doesn't really need to have a resale value. His profile would come in as a stop gap.

Sounds like the kind of guy we would be looking at for our third choice striker.