The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 minute ago, yuddie said:

Totally up to the manager but at this point if Sterling can't get at least 15-20 starts at RB next season to give a Tav a breather then we've just sold the lad a dream, especially if it's another 60 game season and against the fodder in the prem.

We all have our opinions on Tavernier but he's 32 in October, if we keep using him like a bar of soap it will come back at us with a vengeance.

When and how long was his new deal? If it was a couple of seasons ago we need to seriously look into easing his workload to eventually have someone taking his place at the end of the contract e.g 2 seasons if it was a 4 year deal.

Not necessarily - he may have been told he was coming in as competition for Tav but with a longer term view - Tav is 31 now so not getting any younger - I would imagine we WILL start to manage Tav's minutes - but that also isnt easy to do given how much we rely on him in offensive stats - that reliance needs to change and, when it does, Tav can get some much needed rest

2 hours ago, yuddie said:

Totally up to the manager but at this point if Sterling can't get at least 15-20 starts at RB next season to give a Tav a breather then we've just sold the lad a dream, especially if it's another 60 game season and against the fodder in the prem.

We all have our opinions on Tavernier but he's 32 in October, if we keep using him like a bar of soap it will come back at us with a vengeance.

When and how long was his new deal? If it was a couple of seasons ago we need to seriously look into easing his workload to eventually have someone taking his place at the end of the contract e.g 2 seasons if it was a 4 year deal.

What we need is a RB who can defend.

2 hours ago, craig said:

Not necessarily - he may have been told he was coming in as competition for Tav but with a longer term view - Tav is 31 now so not getting any younger - I would imagine we WILL start to manage Tav's minutes - but that also isnt easy to do given how much we rely on him in offensive stats - that reliance needs to change and, when it does, Tav can get some much needed rest

I'd go as far as to suggest that until we make that change we're not going to make the improvements we need.

Ronald De Boer has his say.

The 53-year-old said: “The strange thing is, they are definitely very different types of strikers. For me, Dessers might be a little more suitable for Scottish football because he’s more physical as a No.9. But it depends on what kind of team and what kind of philosophy you have. If you want to play more like total football then Danilo is a perfect player for that.

“Danilo is more about movement and pressing high. Of course, he will stand his ground but he’s totally different than Dessers’ type. Dessers will use his body more. If that’s what you want then he is probably the better option. But you have to look at what does the manager really want for the style he wants to play? That is something crucial. If you want a guy who waits for the moment, doesn’t get involved that much in the build up and gets in the box then it’s Dessers. But if you want to play high pressing football and you want to link up then Danilo is the perfect guy. But, first, you have to make up your mind.”

It seems highly unlikely Beale will be able to afford both given that Cremonese are demanding around £6.5million for their man and Feyenoord will accept nothing under £5m for theirs. De Boer believes, if Beale is looking for a like-for-like replacement of Morelos, then Dessers fits the bill. But his blessing comes with a caveat.

He went on: “Dessers is a very opportunistic player. If he’s not in form, or when the confidence is not there, he’s a very limited player. Then you think, ‘Who the hell did we sign here!’.

"But when the guy has confidence then you think, ‘Woah! Where is this coming from?’. Because when he’s playing at his best he does everything on instinct. He waits for his prey and then he attacks.

“But, for me, he’s a player who, when he’s feeling comfortable and the manager believes in him, he can add a lot of value. But it all depends on if he’s feeling good. If he feels good he’ll give Rangers a lot of pleasure. But it can also go the other way. If you want a type like Morelos then there is no doubt, you go for Dessers. What you would get from Dessers is a much better work ethic than Morelos gave the team over the last year.

“Morelos did also great things but, in the last 12 months, he didn’t really look fit. Of course, he had an injury but his mentality was not spot on. With Dessers you would get a guy who wants to show himself and, if I see him on television, he’s also a nice person and a good character. A totally different character than Morelos.”

Danilo, though, would be De Boer’s choice when it comes to a more rounded attacker. He said: “If you press high he’s amazing at that and he’s a very decent football player. Also, in the box, he can head the ball even though he’s not big. If he gets the chance to play every week he will only get better.

“Let’s put it this way, if you’re talking about marking players from zero to 10, Dessers can be a nine. But he can also play like a two. With Danilo, he will never go lower than a six. He can also play a nine but he would never go below a six. With Dessers that can happen.”

And De Boer believes he choice may rest not just on price but on which of the two Beale believes will link up best with another new arrival, Dutchman Sam Lammers.

He said: “Sam is also a technical player but where is he going to play? Is he going to play as a number ten? Or will he play with two strikers? If he wants to play with two strikers then Danilo is the perfect guy to play with Sam. But, if Dessers if feeling fine he is an amazing target man.

“Sam was one of the biggest talents at PSV Eindhoven and he has a lot of quality. But can he do it? He has the potential but I wouldn’t put money on it. With him I still have a bit of doubt. Danilo? My brother worked with him at Ajax and he liked him also. He’ll only get better in my eyes. He has a great work ethic and he scores some great goals. Dessers score goals also but he’s more of an opportunistic player. He can be crazy for you in a positive way but it’s like a coin on its side with him, it could go either way!”

But De Boer has a gut feeling Beale will work it all out for himself. He said: “From what I heard, he’s been very impressive. He deserves a good start and maybe, when his team has an injection of quality, he can do even better and really challenge Celtic. That would be a dream but, so far, he has done a marvellous job.”

De Boer: "Dessers is a very opportunistic player. If he’s not in form, or when the confidence is not there, he’s a very limited player. Then you think, ‘Who the hell did we sign here!"

I'm basically Ronald De Boer. 

You signed Morelos for almost nothing and he had fantastic numbers. He always looked grumpy and this season wasted 3 or 4 chances before scoring. He went for nothing, so all in all, for a cheap player he did well and got away with little critique. If what deBoer writes is right, Dessers might be a similar player as Morelos, but very expensive. The vultures might start circling above him even before he plays a ball. 

Looking at the Team, you already have Roofe and Colak as deadly strikers. Sakala wastes a few chances, but is always there for the next. Cantwell is good at shooting too, need to see what Lawrence brings, but his stats looked good too. Lammers ist there, soon this loan-guy Sima as well. It is not my call, but I would not break the bank for another striker just yet, unless I am totally convinced of his impact.

1 hour ago, Idisi said:

You signed Morelos for almost nothing and he had fantastic numbers. He always looked grumpy and this season wasted 3 or 4 chances before scoring. He went for nothing, so all in all, for a cheap player he did well and got away with little critique. If what deBoer writes is right, Dessers might be a similar player as Morelos, but very expensive. The vultures might start circling above him even before he plays a ball. 

Looking at the Team, you already have Roofe and Colak as deadly strikers. Sakala wastes a few chances, but is always there for the next. Cantwell is good at shooting too, need to see what Lawrence brings, but his stats looked good too. Lammers ist there, soon this loan-guy Sima as well. It is not my call, but I would not break the bank for another striker just yet, unless I am totally convinced of his impact.

Mate, we need more options up front.  We have lost Morelos, Colak seems to be unwanted, that is us two players down.  Roofe cant be relied upon due to fitness concerns.  We have brought in Lammers (I suspect he will be played as a 10 rather than striker) and Sima on loan.  We can't go into this season with just the two options plus an unreliable Roofe and an unwanted Colak.  We need more options.

That said, Beale's team was scoring fairly healthily when he came in through end of season - we need to be much more solid at the back and be far more stingy with goals conceded.  in the invincibles season we knew if we scored one goal we were likely to win the game - last season and season before we knew we would need at least two to win games....

25 minutes ago, craig said:

That said, Beale's team was scoring fairly healthily when he came in through end of season - we need to be much more solid at the back and be far more stingy with goals conceded.  in the invincibles season we knew if we scored one goal we were likely to win the game - last season and season before we knew we would need at least two to win games....

Absolutely. For all the justified talk about forwards, the biggest weakness needing addressed is our porous defence. We’re so vulnerable to cross balls. Can’t defend the back post, can’t defend the front post, centre backs pulled all over the place, midfield continually depleted covering for missing fullbacks. 

Seems to me our entire team has been bent to the needs and inadequacies of our fullbacks for too long. I want defensive fullbacks who can attack, not attacking fullbacks who can’t defend.