The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

On 04/07/2023 at 05:35, 26th of foot said:

Nice One Cyriel.

Age does not come alone as they say. As a 16 year old schoolboy follow following my team to victory in the first Royal Scottish Cup final in 1973, did I ever think Rangers would field players with the following monikers : Trevor, Nigel, Baillie, Zak, .................... and now, Cyriel? We had a particularly Scottish slant back in the day, Tam, Doddie, Sandy, .................. and Billy 'couldnae kick doors at Halloween' Mathieson. The big, gruff Fifer did not venture up the park much; however, on the other side, Sandy Jardine was often further up the wing than Tommy McLean. He was the epitome of the then, 'overlapping fullback'.

Honestly, you would get home on a Saturday evening after playing for your school, your amateur boys club and, watching Rangers. You would sit down in front of Brian Moore or Frank Bough and they would be telling you of the latest footballing revelation, 'overlapping fullbacks'. You had just played in two games and watched one that featured this revelation, in deepest, darkest Lanarkshire. In London, Englandshire; the player responsible was a bluff Yorkshireman playing left back for the Spurs, his name Cyril Knowles.

Tottenham Hotspur reached the final of the English League Cup final against Norwich City in 1973. Their star player was Martin Chivers, big bully of a centre forward who scored goals for fun. Thus, surely a song about Martin was the very thing to cheer up the Cockerels on their way to Wembley? No, the Cockerel Chorus took the dirge, 'Nice one Cyril, nice on son' to number 14 in the national charts. All I ask as I take my seat at Ibrox for the coming season, do NOT play that dirge over the PA system every time Cyriel puts one in the back of the pokey.

I am off for my morning cafe and Tostado con tomate y aceite.

The very day I was born :)

Understand Divine Mukasa has visited Rangers and Newcastle this week as he looks set to make a decision on his future after leaving West Ham. There were reports Man City were also monitoring the England u16 central midfielder Official 

Xgt0CrE3_normal.jpg

TheSecretScout

@TheSecretScout_
·

West Ham announce new scholars, but 15-year-old Divine Mukasa not a part of the list. Ominous sign for West Ham

Cifuentes deal seems to have stalled. Are we waiting for him to come in when his contract expires?

Our defence slightly concerns me to be honest. I know much of the focus has been on revitalising the attacking positions, but our back 4/5 will start with some new faces (Butland, Sterling, another) and some with with very few starts (Ridvan, Souttar). Goldsons injury is a huge concern as is Souttars. The quality of our defence will make or break our season IMO. I'm also hoping Butland will add extra security off his line compared to last year (no offence Alan...)

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

22 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

The quality of our defence will make or break our season

I get you, but I don't think it's quite as simple as that. We hardly conceded any goals in our 55 season, which wasn't down to how good our defence was per se, it was down to how we played, constantly stretching teams, possession based defence, tiring out our opposition to the point when we did give the ball away, they were less of a problem.

I hope with a full pre season, and more of *his* players, MB will work in a similar fashion.

The vermin don't have a great defence, they did something similar last season.

Where your good defence is under more scrutiny is in Europe, obvs.

6 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I get you, but I don't think it's quite as simple as that. We hardly conceded any goals in our 55 season, which wasn't down to how good our defence was per se, it was down to how we played, constantly stretching teams, possession based defence, tiring out our opposition to the point when we did give the ball away, they were less of a problem.

I hope with a full pre season, and more of *his* players, MB will work in a similar fashion.

The vermin don't have a great defence, they did something similar last season.

Where your good defence is under more scrutiny is in Europe, obvs.

I get what you are saying but much of goals against last season were avoidable in so many ways. During the 55 season we conceded 13 goals. Last season we conceded 34. Those stats don't lie. 

14 hours ago, BEARGER said:
Understand Divine Mukasa has visited Rangers and Newcastle this week as he looks set to make a decision on his future after leaving West Ham. There were reports Man City were also monitoring the England u16 central midfielder Official 

Xgt0CrE3_normal.jpg

TheSecretScout

@TheSecretScout_
·

West Ham announce new scholars, but 15-year-old Divine Mukasa not a part of the list. Ominous sign for West Ham

They were making fun of the Chinese acrobat team at the Olympics, looking like 12-year old girls when they were supposed to be 18+ or the like. The above guy, on the other hand, doesn't exactly look like a 15-year old. 

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I get what you are saying but much of goals against last season were avoidable in so many ways. During the 55 season we conceded 13 goals. Last season we conceded 34. Those stats don't lie. 

They would have been avoided if we had the ball, you've kinda proved my point there buddy.

6 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

They would have been avoided if we had the ball, you've kinda proved my point there buddy.

Many of our goals against last season happened when we had the ball or were in "control" of a situation. The two that come to mind were the 2 at Parkhead in the game that effectively ended our league challenge. Ben Davies terrible defensive header and Jack/Souttar/MacGregor pissing about in defence.