The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

24 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Its a bad business model paying 6 million for Danilio a year after he was free and 5 million for Trusty a year or so after Arsenal got him for about 1.5 million.

I get your point but it's a tad silly. 

Why would teams ever need to pay a fee? Just sign them when they are in nappies. 

34 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I get your point but it's a tad silly. 

Why would teams ever need to pay a fee? Just sign them when they are in nappies. 

I think you are the one bringing the silly here as that's not at all what I'm suggesting.

When Danilo was free we spent 2 million on Colak, the very definition of a journeyman, a player no one else really wanted and who had struggled for a mid tier team in Greece. At 29 he was never going to be the answer for us as a first choice striker. He did a job at times but its no surprise he has been moved on. When Trusty went to Arsenal in Jan 22 we were set at CB so I get that but then shortly after we spent 3-4 million on big softie Ben Davies. Its just a case of making better decisions. Our transfer business last summer was poor, I don't think anyone can disagree.

Beale has brought them in now but considering our interest in some players has persisted through Gerrard to Gio to Beale I'd say we were aware of them and made other choices instead.

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's a tough balancing act for the manager because we can't afford a whole team of finished articles and can't field a team of 'projects' either.  

Agree. But what has happened in the past season that has turned Danilo from a project player to a 6 million striker for example? Surely he hasn't improved *that* much. My point is its not sustainable for us long term as we cant really afford to be spending like this every summer.  I think the manager has managed it well recently to strike a balance of Danilos with Raskins, Lammers with Cantwells and Dessers with Cifuentes. But it wont always be possible.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

4 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think you are the one bringing the silly here as that's not at all what I'm suggesting.

When Danilo was free we spent 2 million on Colak, the very definition of a journeyman, a player no one else really wanted and who had struggled for a mid tier team in Greece. At 29 he was never going to be the answer for us as a first choice striker. He did a job at times but its no surprise he has been moved on. When Trusty went to Arsenal in Jan 22 we were set at CB so I get that but then we spent 3-4 million on big softie Ben Davies. Its just a case of making better decisions. Our transfer business last summer was poor, I don't think anyone can disagree.

Beale has brought them in now but considering our interest in some players has persisted through Gerrard to Gio to Beale I'd say we were aware of them and made other choices instead.

Agree. But what has happened in the past season that has turned Danilo from a project player to a 6 million striker for example? Surely he hasn't improved *that* much. My point is its not sustainable for us long term as we cant really afford to be spending like this every summer.  I think the manager has managed it well recently to strike a balance of Danilos with Raskins, Lammers with Cantwells and Dessers with Cifuentes. But it wont always be possible.

Oh - you're assuming we've been tracking them for a while. 

I blame GvB. 

And it's another reason why we need a more powerful DoF. 

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Its a bad business model paying 6 million for Danilio a year after he was free and 5 million for Trusty a year or so after Arsenal got him for about 1.5 million.

Not if they're gonna be worth 25, and 15 next year.