The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

34 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You conveniently omitted Jack, Barisic, McLaughlin, Roofe, etc., and Lundstram is 29. I did say 'aging squad'.

Even taking your starting XI, that's 6 players that we're recouping nothing on. 

Dessers is not old per se, but it's not good business to spend £3-4M plus on a 28 year-old that we can't resell.

No, I didnt.  Check what I said.... I said "possible starters".  Are Barisic and Yilmaz going to play on top of each other ?  McLaughlin and Butland BOTH playing in goal ?

Not every deal needs to have a re-sale.  If you have experienced players that come in, help the younger players, win some trophies, and you sell the younger players on once they have the experience, then you don't need to re-sell everyone.

For an extreme example, if you could get a 28 yr old Messi for 4 mill but couldnt sell him on, you are saying don't bring him in.  Makes no sense if they can improve the team and help get us trophies and European football.

As I said, you dont need every signing to have a resale value.  But, ignoring that..... who is it that you think we could get, in our price range, younger, who would be better for us than Dessers ?  Getting decent quality strikers is difficult to do for anyone - even moreso in the market we are shopping in.  

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I thought it was a running gag?

I'm not the only one who uses 'Tamundo'.

We all know who it's meant to be. 

He'll always be Tamundo to me. 

26 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I just wrote a long reply then exited the page by mistake... :facepalm:

Suffice to say, we must have a more joint-up approach. Players and managers must suit a club's philosophy. It's no good catering to the whims of individual managers.

I will die on this hill, on my particularly high horse.

Phew, lol

You simply can't have a joint-up approach when we dont even have a DoF in place.  And, I would argue, that it makes sense to take your time in making that appointment because the right appointment can springboard you to success but the wrong appointment and we go years behind Celtic again.  The club are clearly trying to fill this position but, IMHO, correctly taking their time.  I would be asking Davie Weir......

However, whilst we don't have one, the best person to rely on is the manager - who else is there that can be relied upon for the footballing strategy until we appoint a DoF ?

I am not disagreeing with you on the need for a DoF.  However, either way you look at it, be it Colak or anyone else, if a manager doesnt like a player then they simply don't play them - if a DoF forces a player upon a manager AND forces the manager to then play them.... that is a recipe for even bigger disaster than not having a DoF.

1 minute ago, craig said:

No, I didnt.  Check what I said.... I said "possible starters".  Are Barisic and Yilmaz going to play on top of each other ?  McLaughlin and Butland BOTH playing in goal ?

Not every deal needs to have a re-sale.  If you have experienced players that come in, help the younger players, win some trophies, and you sell the younger players on once they have the experience, then you don't need to re-sell everyone.

For an extreme example, if you could get a 28 yr old Messi for 4 mill but couldnt sell him on, you are saying don't bring him in.  Makes no sense if they can improve the team and help get us trophies and European football.

As I said, you dont need every signing to have a resale value.  But, ignoring that..... who is it that you think we could get, in our price range, younger, who would be better for us than Dessers ?  Getting decent quality strikers is difficult to do for anyone - even moreso in the market we are shopping in.  

I did say 'aging squad'. You're the one that picked starters to suit your argument. 

I don't mind the odd experienced player, but I wouldn't want us spending money on them. Butland on a free was fine.

I'd take a 28-year-old Messi for £4M. We could sell him for £200M six months later. :D

That's the job of the scouting department. 

Personally, of the names linked, Maja is a better profile at 24 (I think?). 

In our situation, we really need those that we're spending money on to have potential resell value. That's just me, though. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I did say 'aging squad'. You're the one that picked starters to suit your argument. 

I don't mind the odd experienced player, but I wouldn't want us spending money on them. Butland on a free was fine.

I'd take a 28-year-old Messi for £4M. We could sell him for £200M six months later. :D

That's the job of the scouting department. 

Personally, of the names linked, Maja is a better profile at 24 (I think?). 

In our situation, we really need those that we're spending money on to have potential resell value. That's just me, though. 

Fair point - but I don't have the time to go through every squad member.

We can pontificate about xG and xA and better profiles all day long - but the only proof will be when they are here.  Torres, I imagine, had unbelievable xG when at Liverpool, then went to Chelsea and the stats, probably (without checking) likely looked like shit.  The point also being that players often suit certain environments, playing styles, formations over others - there are no guarantees.

We could pick up Dessers and he could score 30 goals in half a season and in January we have some lower end EPL team wanting to spend 10 mill on him to help them stave off relegation - we have literally NO IDEA what any of them will bring.  As I said, not every signing needs to have a re-sale value - but at 28 we also have no idea whether that is the case or not.

I don't think that we necessarily do need then to have resale value - it is a balance - if you bring in a 28 yr old who has no resale value but he brings out the best in a younger player around him then the resale value of said younger player may be increased.  Whilst clubs buy individuals, the game isnt played in an individual vacuum. 

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Phew, lol

You simply can't have a joint-up approach when we dont even have a DoF in place.  And, I would argue, that it makes sense to take your time in making that appointment because the right appointment can springboard you to success but the wrong appointment and we go years behind Celtic again.  The club are clearly trying to fill this position but, IMHO, correctly taking their time.  I would be asking Davie Weir......

However, whilst we don't have one, the best person to rely on is the manager - who else is there that can be relied upon for the footballing strategy until we appoint a DoF ?

I am not disagreeing with you on the need for a DoF.  However, either way you look at it, be it Colak or anyone else, if a manager doesnt like a player then they simply don't play them - if a DoF forces a player upon a manager AND forces the manager to then play them.... that is a recipe for even bigger disaster than not having a DoF.

It's a somewhat moot point, though, because our DoF was involved in the planning and set-up of our signings for this window. If not, what the f*ck was he doing?

I admit I'm in the minority, but I want the DoF to have a lot more say in recruitment. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's a somewhat moot point, though, because our DoF was involved in the planning and set-up of our signings for this window. If not, what the f*ck was he doing?

I admit I'm in the minority, but I want the DoF to have a lot more say in recruitment. 

Our previous DoF also was, latterly (and I say this as someone who thought he had initially done some excellent work) a failure at working to our desired model.  I think he brought in some excellent players, I stand by that - but last summer was largely unsuccessful and he also kept the invincibles squad together too long.

The DoF is great... if he is a great DoF.  Wilson was both good and bad for us - but in the last two seasons our transfer policy was poor.

I would say that it depends on the DoF when it comes to recruitment - I agree with you, but if you have a DoF who cant spot a player that can fit club philosophy then it won't work out.  Could easily be argued that the scouting department is even more important than the DoF

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Fair point - but I don't have the time to go through every squad member.

We can pontificate about xG and xA and better profiles all day long - but the only proof will be when they are here.  Torres, I imagine, had unbelievable xG when at Liverpool, then went to Chelsea and the stats, probably (without checking) likely looked like shit.  The point also being that players often suit certain environments, playing styles, formations over others - there are no guarantees.

We could pick up Dessers and he could score 30 goals in half a season and in January we have some lower end EPL team wanting to spend 10 mill on him to help them stave off relegation - we have literally NO IDEA what any of them will bring.  As I said, not every signing needs to have a re-sale value - but at 28 we also have no idea whether that is the case or not.

I don't think that we necessarily do need then to have resale value - it is a balance - if you bring in a 28 yr old who has no resale value but he brings out the best in a younger player around him then the resale value of said younger player may be increased.  Whilst clubs buy individuals, the game isnt played in an individual vacuum. 

What's the point in scouting then? We'll just draw names from a hat and see who we get.

In my opinion, spending £3-4M on a 28-year-old is not the best use of resources. 

We can agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

What's the point in scouting then? We'll just draw names from a hat and see who we get.

In my opinion, spending £3-4M on a 28-year-old is not the best use of resources. 

We can agree to disagree.

We are going to have to :thup:

My point is that spending 3 mill on Dessers could be the best money we have spent in years if he gives us 40 goals and leads us to the title.  But you dont want to sign him, predominantly, because a) his age and b) there is a transfer fee

7 minutes ago, craig said:

Our previous DoF also was, latterly (and I say this as someone who thought he had initially done some excellent work) a failure at working to our desired model.  I think he brought in some excellent players, I stand by that - but last summer was largely unsuccessful and he also kept the invincibles squad together too long.

The DoF is great... if he is a great DoF.  Wilson was both good and bad for us - but in the last two seasons our transfer policy was poor.

Yeah, but I've made the point elsewhere - I even made it its own thread - I don't think our DoF had as much influence as he should have. The managers (SG, GvB and MB) seemed \ seem to have too much say in who to sign and who to keep. Which might come from the board? Maybe that's the DoF model they want?

Personally, it's not what I'd like to see.