The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

28 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Your conception of a 'manager' is old-school, when in fact it has changed. A manager now is basically just a head coach, responsible for match prep, etc. 

I realise full well it has changed. What I'm saying is we need to move beyond that change - not back to where we were but to a refined structural relationship between the two roles. I would respectfully suggest you're in some danger of continuing to promote a new "old school" that clearly hasn't worked for us. You think I'm talking about division of power. I'm actually trying (poorly) to describe division of focus.

32 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

What we need is a DoF overseeing the recruitment (alongside all the other footballing departments) so we have a more medium to long term outlook, and so the DoF can also look at appointing new managers that can hit the ground ground and work with what's already here. Medium to long-term management. 

You've been pushing this sustainability argument for a while now and no doubt you feel it has a certain logical symmetry but I'm convinced all you're doing is trading intellectual comfort for deliverable outcomes. Time to refine your thinking and try moving forward.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I'm afraid I never sampled the cane but I was on first name terms with Mr Belt. 

There were two types. The wide soft razor stropper (no bother) and the wicked wee narrow Lochgelly tawse with the forked end, one side rough, the other smooth. (Oww-yah)

1 minute ago, Scott7 said:

There were two types. The wide soft razor stropper (no bother) and the wicked wee narrow Lochgelly tawse with the forked end, one side rough, the other smooth. (Oww-yah)

I thought the Lochgelly flagellator was the universal instrument of torture. I like the sound of the other imposter though.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

instrument of torture

Probably used more as an instrument of vengeance. Upset a chalk-walloper over something trivial and a double whack made her/him feel better.

Let's hope these new guys will hit the ground running, remember the doubts about Lammers when we signed him? Loosing two strikers at once who know how to deal it out to Scottish teams is hopefully not come to haunt us, even though Sakala ain't gone just yet. 

Not sure whether Beale did not fancy Colak, he was not really fully fit when MB came in and this one-striker trash didn't help. But at least he was a solid man and had a healthy scoring record. Sakala's just Sakala. Bags of enthusiasm, always direct and never let a chance to hit the ball slip by him. Sure not the perfect player, but that's why he was / is at Rangers and not in the EPL, BL, France, Spain, or Italy. Maybe I have become used to far too much mediocre quality in years gone by (with regards to the standard we should attract), but I like Sakala. If these 4m are needed to finance the re-build and all sides are happy with that, so be it.

41 minutes ago, Bill said:

You've been pushing this sustainability argument for a while now and no doubt you feel it has a certain logical symmetry but I'm convinced all you're doing is trading intellectual comfort for deliverable outcomes. Time to refine your thinking and try moving forward.

I'm well out in front. It's you neanderthals that are holding me back! :D

It's about balancing short-term success and long-term sustainability.

There are deliverables in a sustainable approach. They're very much at the forefront of my belief. I agree it's pointless without deliverables. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I'm well out in front. It's you neanderthals that are holding me back! :D

It's about balancing short-term success and long-term sustainability.

There are deliverables in a sustainable approach. They're very much at the forefront of my belief. I agree it's pointless without deliverables. 

I know what you mean. I'm all for long term sustainability too - it the means of achieving it I have a problem with and it's clear from our experience of the last two DoF's that the current arrangement hasn't delivered an ounce of sustainability. Every time we change managers, the whole roadshow changes. No?

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

I know what you mean. I'm all for long term sustainability too - it the means of achieving it I have a problem with and it's clear from our experience of the last two DoF's that the current arrangement hasn't delivered an ounce of sustainability. Every time we change managers, the whole roadshow changes. No?

Absolutely.

I've been whinging about that point recently. 

I've slowly come to the realisation that that must be the 'model' that the board want. It's a muddle; it's not sure what it wants to be.