Gersnet Player of the Year 2022/23 | Malik Tillman

3 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

I didnt even bother voting I'm ashamed to admit. We shouldnt have one if we win nothing and not having a go @Frankie

I guess that's fair comment but just because the sum of the parts is unsuccessful doesn't mean the odd player shouldn't be recognised.

Here on Gersnet, we have replicated events of  Autumn 1976.

After the Treble winning season of 1975-'76, the Rangers support looked forward enormously to season 1976-'77. We had a temporary problem at centre back and Jock Wallace contacted his old Army buddy and Southampton Gaffer, Laurie McMenemy for a solution? The Saints had just won the FA Cup with a Scot at centre half, Jim Steele. Edinburgh born'n'bred, he had made his name at Dundee along side other wonderful names, Ian Philip, John Duncan, Jocky Scott, Gordon Wallace, ....... etc.

We signed BIG Jim on loan for a month and, he played all six games. His English earned reputation as a real hard man of the game proceeded him. Remember, this was the English football of Chopper Harris and Jack Charlton. Jim was cautioned in everyone of those five games where we won one, drew four and, lost one. We went from Treble Champions to poor also rans.

I was a member of two RSCs, one was reasonably near to home , Tannochside Loyal; the other was because attending University meant living in the west end, Partick Loyal. I attended both clubs end of season Player of the Year dance and the winner at both(and at least another dozen) was Jim Steele because he cared for the jersey, staunchly booked in every match - real commitment. Malik Tillman and Jim Steele, one of a kind.

Those other names from that Dundee side, I loved John Duncan, went to Spurs and became top scorer. My pick was Ian Philip, he could play anywhere in defence. He had a season at Crystal Palace in the old First Division, played every game and won the Club's Player of the Year. He returned to Dundee after a season because of homesickness. I would have loved to have seen Ian in Rangers blue.

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Here on Gersnet, we have replicated events of  Autumn 1976.

After the Treble winning season of 1975-'76, the Rangers support looked forward enormously to season 1976-'77. We had a temporary problem at centre back and Jock Wallace contacted his old Army buddy and Southampton Gaffer, Laurie McMenemy for a solution? The Saints had just won the FA Cup with a Scot at centre half, Jim Steele. Edinburgh born'n'bred, he had made his name at Dundee along side other wonderful names, Ian Philip, John Duncan, Jocky Scott, Gordon Wallace, ....... etc.

We signed BIG Jim on loan for a month and, he played all six games. His English earned reputation as a real hard man of the game proceeded him. Remember, this was the English football of Chopper Harris and Jack Charlton. Jim was cautioned in everyone of those five games where we won one, drew four and, lost one. We went from Treble Champions to poor also rans.

I was a member of two RSCs, one was reasonably near to home , Tannochside Loyal; the other was because attending University meant living in the west end, Partick Loyal. I attended both clubs end of season Player of the Year dance and the winner at both(and at least another dozen) was Jim Steele because he cared for the jersey, staunchly booked in every match - real commitment. Malik Tillman and Jim Steele, one of a kind.

Those other names from that Dundee side, I loved John Duncan, went to Spurs and became top scorer. My pick was Ian Philip, he could play anywhere in defence. He had a season at Crystal Palace in the old First Division, played every game and won the Club's Player of the Year. He returned to Dundee after a season because of homesickness. I would have loved to have seen Ian in Rangers blue.

Steele by name Steele by nature my kind of player I think Jock was contemplating making offers for Narey or Hegerty but tight arse Waddle wouldn't have it tight as a coat of paint was deddle 

8 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Those other names from that Dundee side, I loved John Duncan, went to Spurs and became top scorer. My pick was Ian Philip, he could play anywhere in defence.

One of three very good Dundee teams. The earlier champion side was excellent, the best of the three and the even earlier 40s/50s side, though not quite attaining the levels of the other two, had very good players in Cowie, Boyd, Gallagher and the greatest dark blue of all, Billy Steel.