Rangers Fans Forum

7 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

the Copland, Broomloan and Govan are over 40 years old now even if there have been changes to each over that time.

Genuine question: These stands all offer good views of the pitch and are solid structures, so what's so bad about them?

Everton, Spurs and Brentford are all in the EPL, so comparing our financial situation with those clubs is like comparing Susan Boyle with Margot Robbie - just nuts.  

9 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Genuine question: These stands all offer good views of the pitch and are solid structures, so what's so bad about them?

Everton, Spurs and Brentford are all in the EPL, so comparing our financial situation with those clubs is like comparing Susan Boyle with Margot Robbie - just nuts.  

I don't think there's anything 'bad' about them, they're simply getting older and as buildings get older they incur increasing maintenance costs. I imagine they'll be fine for another 20 years albeit the money required to maintain them will take up a larger percentage of our costs. They're too small, demand outstrips supply currently, we'd sell another 10,000 or so seats based on season ticket demand. That of course could change in the future. 

I wasn't comparing our finances with those English sides, simply the reported costs of their new stadiums. They seemed more relevant than Danish or German stadium costs. 

I don't think I need to point out that the club haven't actually asked me to explore this, I was just a little bored while having a cup of tea earlier. 

50 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

The cost of building a 'new' Ibrox is worth investigating, the Copland, Broomloan and Govan are over 40 years old now even if there have been changes to each over that time. Everton have estimated £500 million for their proposed new stadium. Spurs apparently spent around £1 billion on their ground. Brentford built a new stadium for £71 million. Some fairly big differences in costs there. I suspect we'd want to keep the Main Stand, so it's a 3 sided bowl or similar we'd be looking at. We wouldn't need to buy land, unlike Spurs and Everton, so that's a saving right away. 

We'd clearly need to borrow the money for the project, and if we assume the 'new' Ibrox would have a higher capacity and more corporate boxes to pay for the build. If we needed £250 million then in simple terms we'd be looking for £10million a season plus interest over 25 years. Not impossible if we add another 10,000 seats plus more hospitality. The danger is that the initial cost grows. That happened when we rebuilt back in the late 70s and it had a huge effect on the quality of the team on the park. 

Match day revenue continues to be our most important source of income, so investigating how to increase that makes a lot of sense. 

Everton around 55,000 capacity circa £850 million and rising 

6 minutes ago, compo said:

Everton around 55,000 capacity circa £850 million and rising 

Ever seen a major works contract where variations don’t put the price up by up to 20% or more? 

Having said that, Emirates was done on time and budget.

2 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Ever seen a major works contract where variations don’t put the price up by up to 20% or more? 

Yep, look at the issues the COVID effected supply chain caused with NEH build, costs increased massively. Its something affecting all construction at the moment not just football clubs. In addition to supply chain issues the whole net zero thing is making using concrete expensive too (as a small scale example).

6 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Its something affecting all construction at the moment

Since time immemorial. But of course, you’re right. Extraordinary factors currently have skewed everything.

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Having said that, Emirates was done on time and budget.

In April this year construction materials rose by 4.7% that’s on top of an 8.7% rise in March so whatever works are undertaken it’s going to be costly , then again if the main stand were to burn down i am assuming it’s well insured it might be a godsend. 😆