[FT] Rangers 1 (Lammers 64) - 2 Newcastle United

13 hours ago, DMAA said:

Jack and Lundstram struggled too. 

I thought they did OK in a difficult situation where our organisation left both of them chasing shadows for long periods in the first half.

I was more enthused by some of our B team players than our new signings to be honest. We certainly looked less nervous and more creative second half when changes were made. I thought Yfeko and Rice looked very composed and Lowry was keen to lay down a marker, which he did (I feel it's make or break for him this season). It was hard to track who was playing where at times and I don't think we'll see a settled starting eleven before the last pre-season game I guess. However, I have concerns about our defence both in and out of possession, and just replacing the goalkeeper is not going to fix the problems, so I hope MB has something up his sleeve. 

1 hour ago, weebluedevil said:

I have concerns about our defence both in and out of possession

The full backs have to more in the way of not leaving their opposing completely free at all times,especially Tav who drifts infield too much.

6 hours ago, DMAA said:

It’s fairly early days but I like Ridvan. A much better defender than Barisic, good at quick passing and getting involved in build-up play and far more capable of getting to the byline and cutting it back than Barisic. I like how he makes underlapping runs too. He’ll never be as good a crosser but I don’t think he’s as bad as made out at crossing either. Needs a proper spell without injury this season to prove himself but I’m optimistic. 

I don't think we've come close to seeing the best of Ridvan Yilmaz but it's already clear he has far more mobility than Barisic. Considering how few crosses ever lead to goals, there's far too much made of crossing abilities.

9 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

I was more enthused by some of our B team players than our new signings to be honest. We certainly looked less nervous and more creative second half when changes were made. I thought Yfeko and Rice looked very composed and Lowry was keen to lay down a marker, which he did (I feel it's make or break for him this season). It was hard to track who was playing where at times and I don't think we'll see a settled starting eleven before the last pre-season game I guess. However, I have concerns about our defence both in and out of possession, and just replacing the goalkeeper is not going to fix the problems, so I hope MB has something up his sleeve. 

Yfeko looked good for the first few minutes he came on, but then made a few poor decisions and thus mistakes. Not stopping the cross for the goal was a lethal mistake and one of the basics of football.  You have to stop crosses at source. He is young and will learn. Not ready for the first team yet, but maybe unfair to judge on the few minutes he was on. Rice is going to be a massive player. Unfortunately, the modern trend is that he will be bought away before making an impact in the Rangers team. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Lowry showed that he deserves some more game time and was unlucky not to win us the game. Raskin was the jewel on the crown, though. What a player he is. John Souttar was the other stand out for me and one of the few I would say was up at Newcastle standard in the first half. Due to a stagnant midfield, he got pulled out of position at the first goal'The midfield at the goal was shocking standing in a straight line across the pitch, giving the Newcastle players about 4 metres room and totally open for the wall pass that ensued. Ryan Jack and John Lundstram should never be the mainstay of our midfield ever again. They are metres off the pace and that is not pre-season cobwebs, that is a few years of failure. Lundstram has had a good 6-month period in 4 years at Ibrox. Just my opinion, and no doubt others will think different.🙂

1 hour ago, pete said:

Yfeko looked good for the first few minutes he came on, but then made a few poor decisions and thus mistakes. Not stopping the cross for the goal was a lethal mistake and one of the basics of football.  You have to stop crosses at source. He is young and will learn. Not ready for the first team yet, but maybe unfair to judge on the few minutes he was on. Rice is going to be a massive player. Unfortunately, the modern trend is that he will be bought away before making an impact in the Rangers team. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Lowry showed that he deserves some more game time and was unlucky not to win us the game. Raskin was the jewel on the crown, though. What a player he is. John Souttar was the other stand out for me and one of the few I would say was up at Newcastle standard in the first half. Due to a stagnant midfield, he got pulled out of position at the first goal'The midfield at the goal was shocking standing in a straight line across the pitch, giving the Newcastle players about 4 metres room and totally open for the wall pass that ensued. Ryan Jack and John Lundstram should never be the mainstay of our midfield ever again. They are metres off the pace and that is not pre-season cobwebs, that is a few years of failure. Lundstram has had a good 6-month period in 4 years at Ibrox. Just my opinion, and no doubt others will think different.🙂

Lundstram has been at Ibrox for 4 years...? This season will only be his 3rd. I think you're being a wee bit harsh on Lundstram tbh. In his first season he took time to bed in but was outstanding in our run to the Europa League final. Last season he had a dip but again finished strongly and was one of our better players in the 2nd half of the season. 

One pre-season game against meaningful opposition, no basis for sweeping praise or condemnation.

The European qualifiers will tell us something. Christmas will tell us everything.

On 20/07/2023 at 15:25, Bill said:

One pre-season game against meaningful opposition, no basis for sweeping praise or condemnation.

The European qualifiers will tell us something. Christmas will tell us everything.

Let's hope, Danilo's contract has a Santa Clause.😁